Purse with Paisley Appliques
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- McCall's pattern 5823, view C
- Moleskin fabric :
- 3/4 yd for purse
- 5/8 yd for lining
- Remnants for appliques
- 1-3/4" yd iron-on interfacing
- 1/4 yd Pellon Clear-Fuse 800
- Purse handles
- Machine embroidery thread
- Tracing paper, pencil
- Disappearing fabric marker
- Permanent marker
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & ironing surface
- Optional: iron-on gems or beads
- Cut out purse pieces according to pattern directions.
- Iron interfacing to wrong side of purse front.
- Draw paisley shapes to be appliqued on paper using the purse front pattern piece as guide for size.
- Turn paper over. Place Pellon Clear-Fuse 800, smooth side up, over drawing.
- Draw the paisley designs onto Pellon Clear-Fuse 800 with permanent marker while separating designs.
- Cut out designs leaving at least 1/4" around each and fuse to back of desired fabric color following package instructions.
- Cut out each paisley design & place onto purse front.
- Use disappearing fabric marker to mark placement of each paisley shape. Put shapes aside.
- Work with one shape at a time. Beginning with the undermost paisley shape, remove backing & fuse in place.
- With a small, tight satin stitch, stitch around outer edges of paisley shapes with embroidery thread.
- Continue layering & sewing shapes, one at a time.
- Optional: Add more detail to paisley shape with straight stitching, gems or beads.
- When purse front is complete, follow pattern directions to finish purse.