1. Measure your child’s waist and cut the elastic to that measurement.
2. Measure from the waist to the desired finished skirt length, and add 1" to the measurement for the hem. This measurement is the skirt length.
3. Cut the skirt fabric twice as wide as the child’s waist measurement from step 1 and use the measurement from step 2 as the length.
4. Overlap the ends of the elastic 1" and sew in place.
5. Fold the fabric right sides together, sew the short ends together and press.
6. Fold the bottom of the skirt in 1/2", press and sew in place for the hem.
7. Fold the elastic in half using the stitch line for the center back, and mark the center front, back and sides of the elastic. Now the elastic is divided into quarters. Repeat this step for the skirt.
8. Pin the elastic to the skirt at the mark lines.
9. Start at the back of the skirt at the mark line, and place it under the presser foot. Make a couple stitches and backstitch to reinforce. Use one hand to hold the elastic and fabric behind the sewing machine. Use the other hand to pull the elastic and fabric that has yet to be sewn. You will need to pull the elastic while also guiding the fabric by hand behind the material and machine as well.
For best results, surge or zig-zag all the raw edges of the fabric.
SHIPPINGShipping your purchase is easy at JOANN! Orders typically leave our warehouses within 1-3 business days (Mon-Fri). Delivery date depends on the destination address and the shipping method. You’ll receive an email with tracking information when your order is shipped.
RETURNSReturns can be made for FREE in any of our stores.