1. Measure your child’s waist and cut the elastic to that measurement.
2. Measure from the waist to the desired finished skirt length, and add 1" to the measurement for the hem. This measurement is the skirt length.
3. Cut the skirt fabric twice as wide as the child’s waist measurement from step 1 and use the measurement from step 2 as the length.
4. Overlap the ends of the elastic 1" and sew in place.
5. Fold the fabric right sides together, sew the short ends together and press.
6. Fold the bottom of the skirt in 1/2", press and sew in place for the hem.
7. Fold the elastic in half using the stitch line for the center back, and mark the center front, back and sides of the elastic. Now the elastic is divided into quarters. Repeat this step for the skirt.
8. Pin the elastic to the skirt at the mark lines.
9. Start at the back of the skirt at the mark line, and place it under the presser foot. Make a couple stitches and backstitch to reinforce. Use one hand to hold the elastic and fabric behind the sewing machine. Use the other hand to pull the elastic and fabric that has yet to be sewn. You will need to pull the elastic while also guiding the fabric by hand behind the material and machine as well.
For best results, surge or zig-zag all the raw edges of the fabric.
You can usually expect delivery within 6-10 business days from your order date (business days are Monday-Friday, excluding Holidays). You’ll receive an email with tracking information when your order is shipped. Please allow up to 5 business days to receive your tracking information.
Some items sent directly from our suppliers may take longer, and will ship separate from the remainder of your order.
Please note that Singer sewing machines cannot be shipped to Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands or to military bases overseas.
Most items will give you the option to upgrade your shipping method for faster delivery. If you choose to upgrade your shipping method, your order must be received by 11:00 AM ET or your order may not be processed until the following business day.
For more details & pricing. See our Full Shipping Policy >
Creativity shouldn’t be complicated, so you can return items for FREE any time to our stores for a hassle-free refund with a smile. Personalized Fabric and Custom Headboards purchased online cannot be returned. You can also return online items by mail. See Full Return Policy for Details>