SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yard each of three coordinating fabrics
- 1 yard contrasting fabric
- 1/4 yard fabric for inner border
- 1 yard fabric for outer border
- 1/2 yard fabric for binding
- 3 yards fabric for backing
- One 54" square of batting
- Basic sewing/quilting supplies
- Iron & ironing surface
Note: 1/4" seam allowance used throughout
WOF = width of fabric
To make a block:
1. Fabric A (coordinating fabric): Cut one 6-3/4" square, one 2-1/2" x 5-1/2" rectangle, one 2-1/2" x 7-1/2" rectangle and one 3-3/4" square.
2. Fabric B (contrasting fabric): Cut one 6-3/4" square, one 2-1/2" x 5-1/2" rectangle, one 2-1/2" x 7-1/2" rectangle and one 3-3/4" square.
3. To make the center half-square triangle: On the wrong side of one Fabric A 6-3/4" square, draw a line diagonally from corner to corner. With right sides together, stitch a Fabric A and Fabric B square together, stitching 1/4" along each side of the marked line. Cut on the marked line. Open up and press seam allowance toward darker fabric. Square up each half-square triangle to 5½". Set one aside.
4. Using the photo as reference, stitch one 2-1/2" x 5-1/2" rectangle from Fabric A to the half-square triangle. Stitch one 2-1/2" x 5-1/2" rectangle from Fabric B to the opposite side of the half-square triangle.
5. Mark, layer and stitch a Fabric A 3¾" square with a Fabric B 3¾" square to make two half-square triangles. Square up each half-square triangles to 2-1/2".
6. Again using the photo as reference, stitch a 2½" half-square triangle to the end of one Fabric A 2-1/2" x 7-1/2" rectangle. Repeat for Fabric B.
To make quilt top:
1. Make sixteen blocks. (Five blocks of one fabric combination, six blocks of a second fabric combination and five blocks of a third fabric combination shown here.)
2. Stitch four blocks together to make one row. Make four rows. Press seam allowances for each row in opposite directions for ease in stitching intersecting corners.
3. From inner border fabric, cut four 1/2" x WOF strips. Measure through center of the pieced unit. Cut two of the inner border strips to that measurement. Stitch to the top and bottom of the center unit. Repeat measuring, cutting and stitching for each side of the pieced unit.
4. For outer borders, cut five 5-1/2" x WOF strips. Stitch short ends together. Measure, cut and stitch top and bottom outer borders to the pieced unit. Repeat for side outer borders.
5. Piece and stitch backing fabric as needed to make a 54" square.
6. Layer pieced unit, batting and backing. Quilt as desired.
7. Cut five 2-1/2" x WOF strips for binding. Stitch short ends together. With wrong sides together and long edges even, press. Stitch to right side of quilt with raw edges even. Turn to back and whipstitch in place.
Finished size: 46" square