Red and Green Button Christmas Tree
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Favorite Findings: red & green buttons, various sizes
- 4" terra cotta pot
- 2 Styrofoam® cones: 3-7/8"x8-7/8"
- Ribbon: 2 yds of 1-1/2" green satin, 2 yds 1-1/2" red organdy
- 15"x4" strip of red fabric
- Sequin pins
- Long pearlized pins: red, green
- 5"stick (3/4" diameter)
- Acrylic paint: red, green
- Large flat paintbrush
- Hot glue gun & glue sticks
- Paint palette
- 6" craft wire
- Serrated knife
Tips: When wrapping ribbon around cone, coverage is more important than beauty. The buttons will cover bumps or pleats. Optional for pinning buttons: add hot glue or white craft glue to pin before inserting into tree.
1. Paint outside of pot, a couple inches of inside and top green. Allow to dry.
2. Use knife to cut 3-1/2" off bottom of one cone. Shave sides of foam piece until it will fit into pot. Glue into pot.
3. Glue stick into foam in pot. Glue remaining cone onto stick, leaving about 2" of tree trunk showing.
4. Start by folding end of green ribbon into a triangle and wrapping around cone.
5. Leave 1-1/2" space between wraps. Fold end of red ribbon into a triangle and wrap around cone to cover spaces. Hold ribbon in place with sequin pins. Pleat ribbon where necessary, hold in place with pin. Trim ends at bottom.
6. Cut 4" length of 1/8" green ribbon. Knot into buttonholes of large red button. Repeat for remaining 5 red buttons. Repeat with red ribbon in large green buttons.
7. Randomly attach small and mini buttons to tree to fill in. Place red buttons on red ribbon, and green buttons on green ribbon. Buttons can be glued or pinned in place with pearl pins.
8. Wrap remaining organza ribbon around pot rim. Tie bow. Glue green button in center of bow.
9. Make 3 loops in center of remaining wide green ribbon. Secure with wire. Glue or pin to top of tree. Trim ribbon ends.
10. Folding raw edges under, wrap fabric around tree trunk, covering Styrofoam® in pot. Secure with red pearl pins.