SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 pkg Fabric Central Absolute Jellies strips
- 13"x50" Fusible interfacing
- Rotary cutter, mat & acrylic ruler
- Iron & ironing surface
- Safety pins
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
FINISHED SIZE: 12"x20"
Read all instructions before beginning. Seams are 1/4" unless otherwise noted.
- For each side of the reversible tote: select 1 Jellies strip for each top band; 2 for the center vertical stripes; 5 for the sides & 2 for the handles.
- Top Bands: cut two strips to 30-1/2" length. From fusible interfacing, cut one 2-1/2"x30-1/2" rectangle, then fuse the 2-1/2"x30-1/2" interfacing to wrong side of one top band. Sew both 2-1/2" ends to make a circle. Press seam open & mark half and quarter marks by creasing lightly or with safety pins.
- Sides: right sides together, match raw edges, pin & sew 5 different strips along each 42" side (Diagram 1). Press seams in 1 direction (Diagram 2). Completed piece measures 10-1/2"x42". Cut into two 20" pieces (Diagram 3).
- Vertical Stripes: cut two strips in half to make four 2-1/2"x21" strips. Pin & sew these on the long side to make the wide vertical stripe sections. Press seams to 1 side. Cut into two 4-1/2"x10-1/2" sections (Diagram 4).
- aAssembly: lay out sides & Vertical Stripe sections. Pin & sew together. Press seam to 1 side. Using 10-1/2"x50" interfacing, fuse to wrong side, following manufacturer's directions (Diagram 5).
- Gather Sides: mark center of sides with a safety pin to help align later. Using long stitch setting for gathering, sew along top edge of side sections (horizontal stripes) with scant 1/4" seam allowance. Gather side sections to measure 10". Distribute fullness evenly. Right sides together, pin sides & sew seam to form circle (Diagram 6).
- Using interfaced pieces Sides & Top Band right sides together, pin lower pieced sections to top band, matching side half marks & center seams with vertical stripes. Ease in fullness of gathers to evenly distribute. Pin well; stitch. Use long basting stitches to check seam & gathers; stitch with regular-length stitching. Diagram 7). Repeat steps 2 through 6 without interfacing, making a second bag.
- Bottom of Bag: match vertical stripes & raw edges; pin along bottom of interfaced bag, on non-interfaced bag, leave 6" open on bottom seam for turning. Sew seam from side to side. Miter corners with right sides together and vertical seams centered, pull out points from each end, stitch across the bottom of the bag using jellies strip as a guide. Turn interfaced bag right side out, leave non-interfaced bag outside showing (Diagram 8).
- Straps: using 2 strips chosen earlier, pin right sides together & sew the length on both sides. Turn inside out. Press. Cut in half to make two 21" straps. Pin to the Top Band, lining up with vertical stripes & matching raw edges of band and strap. Baste in place (Diagram 9).
- Finishing: place interfaced bag with right side out, inside of the non-interfaced bag, right sides together. Match raw edge of top band, straps inside and vertical strips as a guide. Pin well around top edge and sew. Turn right side out by pulling the interfaced bag through the opening in the non-interfaced bag. Push lining inside bag and press gently. Slip stitch opening closed. Top stitch 1/4" around top and straps.