Ribbon-Accented Serving Tray
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 wooden tray
- 1 can red spray paint
- 1 can satin spray vanish
- 4 patterned ribbons, your choice
- Glue stick
- Ruler or tape measure
- Spray tray red. Apply several coats for good coverage. Let dry between coats.
- Arrange the ribbon design on tray. Refer to the photo.
- Adhere the first ribbon to the tray up to the point where the lattice weave will begin. Leave the remainder of the ribbon unglued. Continue attaching the other ribbons in the same manner.
- Proceed to weave and glue the ribbon (one ribbon at a time, working from center of tray outward). A simple way to apply glue to the ribbon is to pull the unglued part back over the glued part, slip a piece of scrap paper between the layers and apply glue to the back of each ribbon. Remove the paper. Press the ribbon into place.
- Before gluing the final end of each ribbon, trim it to the exact length.
- Beginning in an inconspicuous spot, glue one of the ribbons around the outside of the tray, near the base. Turn over the top ribbon at the joint and glue over the raw edge, to prevent unraveling.
- When glue is dry, spray with several coats of satin varnish.