Ribbon Bridal Bouquet
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 4 large silk roses
- Accent flowers, 3 stems
- 1-1/2" wide striped ribbon, 2 spools
- 1-1/2" wide wire-edged satin ribbon, 2 spools
- Green floral tape
- 20 gauge wire
- Thread to match ribbon
- Basic sewing supplies
- Wire cutters
- Small amount Fiberfill
- Remove leaves from rose stems.
- Cut first rose approximately 12" in length.
- Cut remaining roses and floral stems to the length of the first rose.
- Attach one stem of draping accent flowers to first rose using floral tape. Attach another one, one third around from the first accent flower. Repeat again with the third draping accent flower.
- Note: All stems will be attached individually using floral tape for stability.
- Attach the 3 remaining roses between the draping flowers.
- For pods, cut nine 3" pieces of striped ribbon. Fold each with right sides together matching cut edges; sew an 1/8" seam along raw edges, sewing the seam by hand twice; secure stitches. Sew a running stitch approx. 1/8" wide along the very bottom edge of tube. DO NOT gather up to close the seam. Cut 20 gauge wire in half. Make a 1/2" hook on one end of wire and place a quarter size piece fiberfill under the hook. Place the wire with fiberfil through the tube and pull the thread to gather around the wire. Secure stitches. Sew another running stitch along the top edge of the ribbon and gather tight, making sure the stuffing stays inside the pod. Secure stitches.
- To make ribbon leaves, cut six pieces of solid ribbon 5" in length. Fold ribbon in half and make a pinch to find the center of ribbon. At the pinch mark, fold the right side of the ribbon down over the ribbon to create a "point." Repeat with the other side. Make a gathering stitch 1/4" from the bottom along the raw edges of the ribbon. Gather tight and secure stitches. Attach one leaf to the back side of pod and secure with stitches to the wire and bottom of the pod.
- Take one pod without leaves and two pods with leaves and secure them together with floral tape. Repeat twice more.
- Position pod cluster between each rose. Secure to stems with floral tape.
- Wrap the length of stems with the striped ribbon starting just below the bottom of the flowers down the length of stems and back to the top. Secure with stitches on both sides of ribbon.
- Wrap the opposite direction with the solid wire-edged ribbon to approx. 1" from bottom. Fold under 1/4" to hide raw edges; secure with stitches.
- For ribbon clusters, cut four 9" and four 7" pieces of solid ribbon. Cut eight 8" pieces of striped ribbon. For one cluster, fold a 9" solid ribbon piece in half, then fold two striped pieces in half. Place the striped ribbon pieces on either side of the 9" solid piece, slightly overlapped with the raw edges lined together. Position a 7" solid piece of ribbon on top of the striped, pin together and stitch them all together in the center.
- Position ribbon clusters evenly below the stems, sewing them to the ribbon that wraps the stems.
- Tie a bow below the loops.