Ribbon Medallion Pillow
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yard jute fabric
- Dritz® Sewing Notions:
- Tapestry needle, #56T-16
- Doll needle, #157
- Dritz® Home waxed button thread, #9043
- 2 Belle Buttons™ 1-1/2"–2" diameter to match fabric
- 4-6 assorted spools of ribbon 1/8"–3/8" wide, unwired
- 14" pillow form
- Thread to match fabric
- Point turner
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Measuring tape
- 1/2 yard of dark fabric to prevent white pillow form from showing through loosely woven jute (optional)
- Embroidery floss (optional)
1. Cut jute into two 14-1/2" squares. Tip: Cut along jute grain for best results. Handle jute carefully as it ravels easily. Optional: Cut two 14-1/2" squares of dark fabric to act as a liner.
2. Optional: Stitch lining to wrong side of each piece of jute.
3. Zigzag jute edge to prevent raveling.
4. Use marker to draw a 2-1/2" circle centered, on right side of one jute square. (Tip: Use jar lid or a circle template to draw the circle.)
5. Cut 4 pieces of 3/8" wide ribbon, 9-1/2"–10" long.
6. Thread ribbon through tapestry needle so ends are even. Stitch ribbon to center circle, with needle entering 1/8" on each side of marked line. Needle should go between jute threads; do not split the fibers. Clip looped end of ribbon at eye of the needle, leaving a double layer of ribbon. Knot narrow or fine ribbon once against fabric to secure.
7. Repeat Step 6 around circle, spacing 3 remaining ribbon pieces evenly.
8. Repeat Steps 5 – 7 with next ribbon.
9. Continue repeating steps 5 – 8 with assorted ribbon until entire circle has been stitched.
10. Pin fabric squares right sides together. Stitch together with 1/2" seam allowance, leaving 8" at the center of one side to turn. Carefully turn right side out. Gently push out corners with a point turner. Press.
11. Insert pillow form. Pin the 8" opening closed. Slipstitch to finish.
12. Mark center of back of pillow.
13. Thread doll needle with 18" of waxed button thread. Stitch from back to front through center of pillow, leaving a long single thread tail on the back. Pass needle through front button from bottom to top and back down again. Push needle through pillow 1/8” from center point toward back of pillow. Remove needle, pulling thread ends evenly. Tie thread through back button so ends are under the button. Pull thread snuggly to tuft the pillow, pulling ribbons aside to expose front button. Hold back button down while knotting thread under button to prevent thread from slipping. Knot again to secure. Clip thread ends.
14. Trim ribbon ends diagonally 1/2". To expose the button, tuck some inside ribbon ends under button.