Ribbon Tied Wrap with Grommets
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 2-1/4 yards wool suiting fabric, 60" wide*
- 3/8 yard Wool felt for neck facing
- 27" chair tie with tassels
- Dritz® Screw-Together Grommets (1 package)
- Dritz® Tailor’s Chalk
- Matching thread
- Grid-marked ruler
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine *NOTE: If taller than 5'5", purchase at least 2-1/2 yards fabric for required length.
RST = right sides together, WSU = wrong side up, CF = center front
- To print the cutting and stitching guide, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above).
- Cut 8" from width along entire length of fabric. Trim selvage edge from opposite edge of fabric. Finished width is 51"–52".
- Trim ends: Fabric must be cut along a thread line to ravel for fringe. To find the thread, examine cut edge of one end of fabric for shortest point. Cut along crosswise thread from side to side. Repeat at opposite end of fabric.
- Ravel edges: Gently pull a thread from one cut corner of fabric. Keeping fabric edge taut, pull thread away from edge and remove. Repeat, creating a fringe of 1/4"-1/2". Do this on all 4 edges of the fabric.
- Fold fabric in half widthwise, RST, lining up edges. Folded size will be about 51+" wide x 40" long. Fold is the shoulder; edges parallel to shoulder form the bottom hem.
- CF Opening: Mark the center of the fabric at fold and bottom hem. On one side only, draw a straight line between marks with tailor’s chalk for CF.
- Neck Opening: Measure 3-3/4" out from each side of center mark at fold and place a pin at each point. Draw a line between pins.
- Facing: Cut two 11-1/2" squares of felt. On one piece, measure down 2" from the top end and draw a line parallel to edge. Mark the center of the line. Mark the center of the bottom edge. Draw a line between marks for CF. Then mark a short line 3-3/4" on each side of the center mark.
- Pin two felt pieces together aligning edges, so marked side faces up.
- Place fabric on large flat surface WSU, (marks facing up). Place felt on fabric aligning CF and 2" line with neck fabric lines. Make sure edges of felt align with straight grain line of fabric. Pin felt to fabric along lines and edges.
- Use chalk to draw a line on both fabric and felt 3-3/4" on each side of, and parallel to, CF line, from hem to shoulder line.
- Stitch felt to fabric along 3-3/4" line, starting at edge of felt, up to and across 7-1/2" neck line, then down along opposite 3-3/4" line to edge of felt.
- Cut felt only along inside of stitched lines. Cut close to stitches; remove center rectangle of both layers of felt. Topstitch along all outside edges of felt through all layers.
- Remove the center rectangle of fabric by cutting 1/4" in from marked line. Start at bottom hem and continue 1/4" in from felt around neck opening, finishing at opposite bottom hem.
- Clip 1/4" edge of fabric to stitching at neck corners. Ravel to fringe fabric on newly cut edges.
- Press neck area from fabric side.
- Add grommets. To position, measure 1" in and 1" up from bottom felt stitching line. Place a pin to mark.
- Cut out template on grommet package. Center it over one pin mark; machine stitch around template so stitches touch cardboard. Repeat for second pin mark. Use sharp tiny scissors to cut out center of stitched shape.
- Apply grommet following package directions.
- Push tasseled cord through grommets from inside to outside.