Rolled Felt and Zipper Jewelry Box
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
• 1 each, Coats Fashion Zipper , 7" Chevron Teal, Chevron Multi, Coats Jeans Zipper, 7” Hummingbird Blue
• Dual Duty XP general purpose thread
• Felt - 6 colors
• 3 Pompoms, 1/2"
• 3 pins with colored heads
• Hand sewing needle- long
• Pins for temporarily securing
• Glue gun and glue sticks
• Wire cutter
Instructions are for making one rolled box, supplies are for 3 boxes.
1. Cut 2 sets of strips 9 x 2- 3/4” out of each color of felt and 2 extra strips for use as the strip that goes on outside of the box.
2. Roll the felt strips by holding them together with their edges flat on table. Stick pins in from the sides to hold the roll temporarily. Use the same tension on the top and bottom rolls so they come out the same size.
3. Secure the bottom rolled felt round by sewing from side to side pushing the needle all of the way through the roll. Take several stitches, rotating the roll slightly for each stitch.
Tip: Don't pull the stitches too tight. Roll the rolled felt on the table to keep it round.
4. Create a dome in the top roll by pushing it from the underside slightly with your fingers and then stitch through the roll to secure.
Tip: Hold the roll at eye height to push needle through horizontally to ensure the needle goes though all layers and that the thread doesn't show on the underside.
5. Glue on the final strip of felt onto each roll to hide all the ends and stitches.
6. Glue the zipper onto the two rolls.
7. Stick the pin through the pompom and cut off about half the pin with wire cutters. Put a dab of glue on the top of the swirl dome and push the pin into the top.