SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yd print fabric
- 1/2 yd polyester lining fabric
- 1/2 yd sew-in interfacing
- 9" metal zipper
- 5" of 3/8"-wide novelty ribbon
- Scissors or rotary cutter & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Pen or pencil
DIRECTIONS: WS = Wrong side(s) RS = Right side(s)
Print fabric: Two 10 1/2"x6 1/2" pieces for outer shell
One 45"x3 1/2" piece for ruffle
Lining fabric: Two 10 1/2"x6 1/2" pieces.
Interfacing: Two 10 1/2"x6 1/2" pieces.
1. Baste interfacing to WS of print fabric with edges even. Set aside.
2. Ruffle: Make narrow hems along long & short edges of 45"x3 1/2" strip. Machine-baste down the center. Baste again, 1/4" away from 1st row of basting. Basting should be centered. Pull bobbin threads to gather the ruffle. Position & pin ruffle to front shell of the clutch. Stitch in place.
3. Fold top edge outer shell 1/2" to the WS. Repeat for lining pieces.
4. With zipper closed & facing upward, pin folded edge of front & back outer shell to zipper tape. Stitch 1/4" from folded edge.
5. Pin folded edge of lining to backside of zipper tape. Handstitch folded edge to zipper tape for front & back lining.
6. With RS together and edges even, pin & stitch lining along sides & bottom; leave 4" open at bottom for turning. Backstitch at opening.
7. With RS together & edges even, pin & stitch front & back outer shell together. Continue over zipper tape; connect with lining stitches. Trim corners.
8. Turn RS out through opening. Edgestitch the opening closed.
9. Tuck lining into clutch.
10. Thread ribbon through opening on zipper pull. Stitch ribbon together, close to zipper pull. Trim edges of ribbon to a point.