SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 2 (3, 3) skeins Red Heart® “Soft Touch": skeins Black A.
- 2 (2, 2) skeins Red Heart® Boutique™ “Sashay™" Hip Hop (B)
- Crochet Hook: US I-9
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needle (optional)
Directions are for size Small/Medium. Changes
for sizes, Large and 1X are in parentheses.
Finished Width (at lower edge): (42 (45, 48)"
Finished Length: 33 (34, 35)
GAUGE: 1 ripple (measured from valley to valley)
= 3½"; 6½ rows = 4" in ripple st pattern at lower edge. Notes: Stitch gauge at top will not be the same because the ripple pattern flattens out as stitches are decreased in the valleys. Row tension is given for lower section of cozy only
(before shoulder shaping). As more rows are worked and the piece is worn, the cozy will lengthen. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the tension.
dc3tog = Yo, insert hook in next st and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops on hook (2 loops remain on hook), [yo, insert hook in next st and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops on hook] 2 times, yo and draw through all 4 loops on hook.
dc4tog = Yo, insert hook in next st and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops on hook (2 loops remain on hook), [yo, insert hook in next st and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops on hook] 3 times, yo and draw through all 5 loops on hook.
Cozy is worked from lower edge up to top edge, in rows of a ripple stitch pattern.
When the piece is complete, the side edges are sewn together for the back seam, with right side facing.
With A, ch 133 (143, 153).
Row 1 (Foundation Row – Right Side): Dc in 3rd ch from hook (beginning ch counts as first dc), dc in next 3 ch, dc3tog, dc in next 3 ch, *3 dc in next ch,
dc in next 3 ch, dc3tog, dc in next 3 ch; repeat from * to last ch, 2 dc in last ch, turn—131 (141, 151) sts forming 13 (14, 15) ripples.
Row 2 (Pattern Row): Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), dc in first dc, dc in next 3 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 3 dc, *3 dc in next dc, dc in next 3 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 3 dc; repeat from * to beginning ch, 2 dc in top of beginning ch, turn.
Row 3 (Ruffle Row): This row is worked with both A and B, work Row 2 and attach B, as follows: Hold cozy with Right Side facing. Unwind a length of B, hold B with metallic edge at bottom, ball on the left and a long beginning tail on the right (long beginning tail is to be tacked to Wrong Side later). *Yo with A , insert hook through a hole at top edge of B and then into the next st to be worked, yo with A and draw through st and then through B, yo with A and complete the st as usual. Skip next hole in B; repeat from * to end of row, inserting hook in every other hole of B and working sts as in Row 2 (Pattern Row). Cut B, leaving a long tail to tack to Wrong Side.
Rows 4–8: With A only, repeat Row 2 five times.
Row 9 (Ruffle Row): With A and B, repeat Row 3.
Rows 10–15: Repeat Rows 4–9.
Row 16: With A only, repeat Row 2.
1. Five stitches need to be decreased evenly spaced across each of the next 5 rows.
2. Decreases are worked in the dc3tog valleys. To decrease while maintaining the ripple pattern, a dc4tog is worked instead of a dc3tog, and then fewer dc stitches are worked to reach the next peak (the center of the next 3-dc group).
3. Markers are used to indicate the 5 valleys in which decreases will be worked. Move the markers to new locations before each decrease row, to spread out the decreases evenly over the rows.
4. Use of markers is optional. If you do not wish to use markers, remember to work dc4tog instead of dc3tog over 5 evenly spaced valleys and take care to work fewer dc stitches to the next peak, so that peaks are kept aligned over peaks and valleys are aligned over valleys.
5. Work Rows 17–20 with A only. Work Row 21 with A and B. Place one marker in each of 5 dc3tog valleys. Space the markers evenly across the row.
Row 17 (Decrease Row): Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), dc in first dc, dc in each dc to 1 st before the next valley, if the valley is marked work a dc4tog, if it is not marked work a dc3tog, dc in each dc to center dc of next 3-dc group (peak), *3 dc in center dc of 3-dc group, dc in each dc to 1 st before the next valley, if the valley is marked work a dc4tog, if it is not marked work a dc3tog, dc in each dc to center dc of next 3-dc group; repeat from * to beginning ch, 2 dc in top of beginning ch, turn—126 (136, 146) sts.
Move the markers to 5 different valleys.
Rows 18–20: Repeat Row 17 three more times— 111 (121, 131) sts.
Row 21: With A and B, repeat Row 17 attaching B as in Row 3 of lower section—106 (116, 126) sts.
Fold cut ends of the B ruffles to the Wrong Side and, with A, tack in place. Sew side edges of cozy together, from right side for back seam.
With Right Side facing, join A with sc in top edge at back seam, sc evenly spaced around top edge; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Weave in all ends.