Ruffle-Trimmed Top with Flower
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/4 yd crinkled silk fabric
- 1/8 yd textured fabric
- 1/2" round jewelry bead
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron, pressing surface
DIRECTIONS: Refer to photo. LOF= length of fabric.
- Cut crinkled silk fabric 5-1/2"x54" for ruffle. Cut off selvages.
- With wrong side of fabric facing, fold fabric over 1/4" on 1 short end. Fold over 1/2" the full length; press.
- Fold the top edge of fabric down 1-1/2"; press. Bring 1/2" folded edge up until width measures 1-3/4"; press.
- To create a tube of ruffle fabric, insert the raw edge on the short end into the folded end. Sew opening closed.
- Sew a gathering stitch down the middle on ruffle.
- Evenly distribute the gathers around the neck opening on T-shirt. Pin in place. Secure the gathered stitches.
- Sew the ruffle to shirt in a V shape to allow the neck to stretch. Secure loosely on the neck rib portion. Create the V down below the rib with a couple of stitches in the same place. Repeat until complete.
- Cut the textured fabric 3/4"xLOF to create a flower with a 3-1/2" diameter. Work from outside to inside of flower. Cut 1 end of fabric on the diagonal. The flower is formed from stitched tucks & pleats.
- Place diagonal point of textured fabric where the flower is to be sewn. Tuck, pleat & stitch in place in the center and along the pleated edge. It takes 3 rows to complete the flower, spacing 1/2" between rows. Sew the jewelry bead in the center. Secure with stitches.