Ruffled Duvet Cover
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Fabrics &- 44" wide quilting cotton:Fabric 1 (2 yds)Fabric 2 (2 yds)Fabric 3 (2 yds)Fabric 4 (2 yds)Fabric 5 (2 yds)Fabric 6 (1-1/2 yds)
- 5-3/8 yds fabric for backing: 108" wide
- Simplicity® Deluxe Rotary Cutter & Embosser
- Simplicity® Deluxe Rotary Cutting Machine Blade, Large Wave
- 1" buttons (5)
- Sewing machine
- Shirring foot for sewing machine
- Buttonhole attachment for sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Quilting ruler
- Fabric marking pen or pencil
- Straight pins
- Iron & pressing surface
Size: Finished duvet cover measures 60"x91"
1. Using the Simplicity Deluxe Rotary Cutter & Embosser with Large Wave blade, cut each of the Fabrics 1-5 into 11 strips, each measuring 6" x width of the fabric. Cut 2 strips of each fabric in half (6"x22") (There will be 1/2 strip of each fabric left over after the duvet cover is complete).
2. Cut Fabric 6 into 7 strips, each measuring 6" x width of the fabric. Cut 1 strip in half (6"x22").
3. From Backing Fabric, cut a piece measuring 70"x92" for the Duvet Top.
4. From Backing Fabric, cut a piece measuring 70"x12" for the Duvet Upper Back.
5. From Backing Fabric, cut a piece measuring 70"x84" for the Duvet Lower Back.
1. Sort the fabric strips into like piles. Fabrics 1-5 have 3 sets of ruffles each. Fabric 6 has 2 sets.
2. With right sides together, sew 3 1/2 strips of one color together along the short edge.
3. Repeat with all the strips until there are a total of 17 rows of ruffles.
4. Fold a ruffle strip in half lengthwise with right sides together, press. This forms a crease in the ruffle to follow when shirring.
5. Attach the Shirring foot to the sewing machine and set the machine to the longest stitch.
6. Center the top of the fabric along the crease under the foot of the machine. Start sewing, holding finger against the back of the foot to increase the amount gathered. The gathering ratio should be about two to one. Gather all of the ruffles.
7. Mark the rows on the right side of the duvet top drawing lines across the fabric. Start 2" down from the top and continue marking every 5-1/2ʼ for the length of the duvet.
8. Pin the ruffles to the duvet top on the lines drawn in the numbered order from above, repeating the order until the duvet is covered.
9. Set the machine stitch to normal stitch length and replace normal foot on the machine.
10. Sew the ruffles to the duvet top, sewing over the gathering stitch.
11. Baste the ruffle edges to the sides of the duvet, folding in the side edges of the top and bottom ruffle to 1/2" of top and bottom of duvet.
1. On the duvet back, upper piece (70"x12") fold the lower long edge under 1", then 1" again and press. Stitch on the pressed edge.
2. Mark the center on the band just made. Mark 12" on each side, then 12" again. These are the markings for the buttonholes.
3. Using the buttonhole attachment for your machine, make 5 buttonholes.
4. On the duvet back, lower piece, repeat steps 1 and 2.
5. Sew the buttons on at these marks.
6. Button the duvet pieces together and stitch together along the band sides to make one back piece. Unbutton the duvet.
7. Pin the top and bottom ruffles of the duvet front down towards the center to keep from getting caught in the seams and with right sides together pin the duvet front to the duvet back.
8. Sew along all 4 outside edges.
9. Turn duvet right side out. Insert comforter and button.