Ruffles into the Night Scarf
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Red Heart® Boutique Sashay Boho™: Caravan
- Susan Bates® Knitting Needles: US9
- Basic sewing supplies
- Measuring tape
GAUGE:Gauge is not important for this project.
For longer scarf cast on 6 stitches; for a shorter scarf cast on 10 stitches.
Stretch one end of the Sashay open for several inches and lay it flat, placing the edge with the metallic thread along the bottom. Notice that the Sashay yarn is a mesh of holes. You will be working with the top of the mesh and leaving the metallic edge loose to form the ruffle. You are using the top railroad track of holes as if it is yarn.
Scarf measures 4” x 62” (6” X 38”)
Directions are for 62” scarf; changes for 38” long scarf are in parentheses.
1. Beginning at the top right edge, insert tip of a knitting needle from back to front starting 4” from end and using top row of holes (railroad tracks). Continue inserting needle 5 (9) more times skipping 1 hole between each stitch. There are now 6 (10) cast on stitches. Place this needle in the left hand.
2. Pick up right hand needle and knit between the top two threads of the mesh (railroad tracks) going into every other hole.
3. Continue knitting these 6 (10) stitches on each row, turning the work in the same direction at end of rows.
4. Put the work down and open up the mesh while working. Stop knitting when there is 24” left for binding off.
Bind off as usual drawing the end of the Sashay through the last bound off stitch. Trim leaving a 4” end. To finish the ends, fold under the corner and tack to inside with sewing needle and thread.