Use 1/4" seam allowance. RST= right sides together; WST=wrong sides together. Rust dyeing is not recommended for use on heirloom-quality projects.
RUST THE FABRIC:
1. Wash and dry the fabric to be rusted; DO NOT use fabric softener.
2. Cover work surface with garbage bags.
3. In a bowl, mix a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water.
4. Wearing gloves, put the fabric to be rusted in the vinegar and water. Squeeze out excess liquid so the fabric does not drip.
5. Smooth out the wet fabric onto the garbage bags.
6. Shred the steel wool and arrange it and any rusted objects on the fabric. Tip: For large items like pipes or shovels, wrap the fabric around the objects.
7. Roll the fabric up to enclose the metal objects. Place the rolled-up fabric in a garbage bag. Do not close the garbage bag tightly as air needs to get in to oxidize the metal.
8. Let the fabric rust for 24 hours.
9. Remove the metal objects from the fabric. Neutralize the rusting process by soaking the fabric in a salt water solution for about 15 minutes (1/4 cup salt in 4 gallons of water). Wash the fabric in soapy water and let dry.
1. Cut the backing fabric to 14"x40".
2. Cut the border fabric into two 15"x2" strips, and two 41"x2" strips.
3. Cut the rusted fabric into strips that are about 18" long. The widths of the strips should vary for visual interest, and can range from 1½" to 3½" wide.
4. Sew a strip of fabric, right side up, to a short side of the batting.
5. Place the next fabric strip on top of the first, RST. Sew this strip to the first fabric’s raw edge. Press the fabric open.
6. Continue sewing the strips to the batting in this manner until the batting is completely covered with fabric. The seams can all be straight across, or sew some strips onto the batting at an angle to form wedges.
7. With the rotary cutter and ruler, square up and size the table runner to 14"x40".
8. Measure in from a short end of the table runner 1½" and pin a short border fabric strip RST along this line. Sew the strip to the table runner and press the border strip open. Trim the border to be even with the batting edge. Do the same on the opposite side.
9. Repeat the process for the long sides of the project using the long border fabric strips.
10. Place the backing fabric on top of the table runner, RST. Sew along all 4 sides of the project, leaving a 6" opening for turning. Clip corners, turn, and press.
11. Whipstitch the opening closed.
You can usually expect delivery within 6-10 business days from your order date (business days are Monday-Friday, excluding Holidays). You’ll receive an email with tracking information when your order is shipped. Please allow up to 5 business days to receive your tracking information.
Some items sent directly from our suppliers may take longer, and will ship separate from the remainder of your order.
Please note that Singer sewing machines cannot be shipped to Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands or to military bases overseas.
Most items will give you the option to upgrade your shipping method for faster delivery. If you choose to upgrade your shipping method, your order must be received by 11:00 AM ET or your order may not be processed until the following business day.
For more details & pricing. See our Full Shipping Policy >
Creativity shouldn’t be complicated, so you can return items for FREE any time to our stores for a hassle-free refund with a smile. Personalized Fabric and Custom Headboards purchased online cannot be returned. You can also return online items by mail. See Full Return Policy for Details>