Sausage and Cheese Doughnuts
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup cooked and very finely crumbled breakfast sausage, drained (about 6 oz.)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, divided
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Wilton® food-crafting supplies
- Doughnut Pan
- 14.5"x20" Cooling Grid
Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare Wilton® Doughnut Pan with vegetable pan spray.
In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. In small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg and butter. Add to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in sausage, cheese, and 1 tablespoon chives. Fill each pan cavity approximately 2/3 full. Sprinkle evenly with remaining chives.
Bake 7-9 minutes or until tops of doughnuts spring back when touched. Allow to cool doughnuts in pan on cooling grid 5 minutes. Remove from pan; allow to cool completely.
Makes 6 doughnuts.
Project Tip: The Wilton Doughnut Pan includes a delicious cake-like doughnut recipe that you can make for a sweet treat any time of the day.