Scary Skull Cake
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- WiltonÂ® food-crafting supplies
- Performance Pansâ„¢ 8"x2" Round Pan
- 10"x16" Cooling Grid
- White Ready-To-Use Decorator Icing â€” 4.5 lb. Tub
- Fanci-Foil Wrap
- 12" Cake Circles
- DimensionsÂ® 3-D Skull Pan
- 9" Straight Spatula
- Black Icing Color
- 13" Angled Spatula
- 12" Disposable Decorating Bags
- Decorating Tips: 12,3
- Bones Sprinkles
- Dowel Rods
- Favorite cake mix or recipe for round layer cake (8 cups batter used)
- Cellophane tape
- Favorite firm-textured cake mix or recipe, like pound cake, for skull cake (10 cups batter used)
- Food-safe scissors
1. Prepare batter following recipe directions. Bake two 8" layers, 2" high and allow to cool. Level, fill and stack 8" layers on a foil-wrapped cake circle for a 2-layer cake, 4" high.
2. Prepare firm-textured batter following recipe directions. Bake cake and allow to cool completely according to package directions. Use 9" straight spatula and decorator icing to attach cake halves together.
3. Tint portions of decorator icing black and dark gray. Reserve some white. Use 13" angled spatula and dark gray icing to ice cake smooth. Use 9" straight spatula to create wavy lines in side of cake. Use tip 12, a cut disposable decorating bag and gray icing to pipe bead bottom border on bottom of cake. Add bones sprinkles to border and lightly press into icing.
4. Use skull pan as a pattern to cut cake circle to fit underneath skull cake. Place skull cake on cut-out board. Use dowel rods to support skull on top of layered cake. Use 9" straight spatula and white icing to ice skull smooth. Use tip 3, a cut disposable decorating bag and black icing to outline and fill in eye sockets and nose and to pipe smile. Pat eye sockets and nose smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch. â€¨
Project Tip: Add a creepier effect by transforming the white skull into a green ghoul! Tint the decorator icing green using Wilton Kelly Green Icing Color and then ice cake smooth with spatula.