Scatter Kindness Art Journal Page
Supplies & Tools:
DecoArt Americana® Stencils:
- Retro Mod (12" x 12")
- Dandelion (12" x 12")
- Whimsical Script (8.5" x 11")
Andy Skinner Stencils: Have Your Say
DecoArt Media® Fluid Acrylics:
- Carbon Black
- Cadmium Orange Hue
- Quinacridone Red
- Quinacridone Violet
- Quinacridone Magenta
- Titanium White
- Translucent White
DecoArt Media® Specialty Products:
- Brush and Stencil Cleaner
- White Gesso
- White Modeling Paste
- White Tinting Base
DecoArt Media® Varnishes: Ultra-Matte Varnish
Journal book with watercolor pages
Palette or plastic plate
#5 round brush
#0 liner brush
#2 fan brush
1/2" flat brush
Wired - Stampendous stamp - NKCRS02
White watercolor pencil
- Apply White Gesso to both journal pages.
- Put quarter-sized puddle of White Tinting Base on palette and add Quinacridone Red gradually until mix is vivid, medium-value color.
- Repeat step 2 with Quinacridone Magenta and again with Quinacridone Violet.
- Using both vertical and horizontal strokes, apply Quinacridone Violet mix in few random areas. Repeat with Quinacridone Magenta mix and then Quinacridone Red mix, overlapping and blending colors as you go.
- Load Translucent White on wet #2 fan brush. Lightly stroke brush across paper towel to remove excess paint and randomly streak pages using both horizontal and vertical strokes.
- Apply Cadmium Orange Hue using diamond design from Americana Retro Mod Stencil. Reposition stencil often, using only portions of design. Avoid Quinacridone Violet areas and leave some open areas.
- Repeat step 6 in some empty areas using Quinacridone Magenta. Apply Quinacridone Magenta and touch of Quinacridone Violet using Andy Skinner Have Your Say Stencil in few random areas.
- When dry, glaze sheer layer of Quinacridone Magenta over portions of design using baby wipe.
- Mix vivid pink using Translucent White and touch of Quinacridone Red. Stencil random areas of circles using template that comes with Wired stamp set. Use Quinacridone Violet to stamp circle and mesh design randomly on pages.
- Using mesh stamp without block will allow you to use just portions of the stamp. Follow the method demonstrated at: http://Youtube.com/watch?v=tEIUkr0M328
- Stencil words with Carbon Black.
- When using Americana Whimsical Script Stencil, mark guidelines with white watercolor pencil. (Hint: These lines make positioning stencil easy. You have choice of positioning letters on line or above and below line. Use both methods in design if you like.)
- To change up wording, use #0 liner brush with Carbon Black to fill in bridges of stencil and add width to portions of each letter to make script bolder. Wipe away guidelines with baby wipe.
- Align Americana Dandelion Stencil on left side of page. Spread White Modeling Paste over stencil with palette knife.
- Lift stencil and allow to dry completely.
- Load Translucent White on cosmetic sponge and pounce on palette to remove most paint. Lightly skim in circular motion over dandelion image and in wavy pattern to create blowing effect. (Hint: Place masking tape over any scattered flowers on stencil that you do not want to use. Be sure to clean stencil immediately as Modeling Paste will dry hard.)
- Use #0 liner brush to outline on left side and bottom of each letter with Titanium White. (Hint: Using Titanium White for this line work will create bold line, while using Translucent White on flowers and blowing effect will help create sheer effect.)
- Apply coat of Ultra-Matte Varnish on both pages. (Hint: Finishing with Ultra-Matte Varnish will prevent pages from sticking together.) Allow to dry completely.