PATTERN & FABRICS:
From Left to Right:
Gertie Collection Fabrics- Rayon Cherries Teal Fabric/Butterick Pattern B6019
Gretchen Hirsch, Designer
Gertie Collection Fabrics- Sateen Rose Dot Fabric/Butterick Pattern B6167
Gertie Collection Fabrics- Swiss Dot Roses White Cotton Fabric (Top), Gertie Collection Fabrics- Chambray Red Dot Cotton Fabric (Pants)/Butterick Pattern B5895
TIPS & TECHNIQUES:
Apparel sewing is a great way to customize your wardrobe to fit your style, size, and personality. Here are some great beginner tips when taking the leap into sewing your own clothes.
* The right tools are key to success. Using high quality scissors and rotary cutters that are kept sharp helps when cutting fabric. Using dull scissors can improperly cut fabric and can be unsafe to use. Only use fabric scissors for cutting fabric. Using fabric scissors to cut paper and other materials can dull the blades prematurely.
* Start out with simple patterns before taking on a project that can be too complicated. Everyone has to start somewhere. Learn the basics of reading and understanding patterns for a more simple design first. Learn how to alter a pattern to your size using a simple pattern. Keep notes on your size measurements for future reference.
* Understand the fiber content of the fabric you are working with. Pre-wash fabrics (based on care code) before cutting and sewing to avoid shrinkage once the garment is constructed. Use the appropriate setting on your iron based on the fabric content. An iron that is too hot for the fabric can scorch and damage the fabric and your iron.
* Always test a swatch of fabric on your sewing machine before beginning garment construction. Ensure proper tension and stitch length on a test swatch as to not damage your main pieces.
* Use a zig-zag stitch on a standard sewing machine or a serger to create finished edges and seams. The details in garment construction will help the fabric drape correctly.
* When laying pattern pieces out on fabric prior to cutting, ensure the pieces are laid in accordance with the noted grain direction. Also keep in mind any prints or patterns on the fabric to ensure they fall in the desired location.
* Ensure your sewing machine needle is sharp. A dull needle can break, damage fabric, or cause thread breakage.
* Use the correct thread type based on fabric and garment. Refer to the pattern envelope for recommended thread.
You can usually expect delivery within 6-10 business days from your order date (business days are Monday-Friday, excluding Holidays). You’ll receive an email with tracking information when your order is shipped. Please allow up to 5 business days to receive your tracking information.
Some items sent directly from our suppliers may take longer, and will ship separate from the remainder of your order.
Please note that Singer sewing machines cannot be shipped to Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands or to military bases overseas.
Most items will give you the option to upgrade your shipping method for faster delivery. If you choose to upgrade your shipping method, your order must be received by 11:00 AM ET or your order may not be processed until the following business day.
For more details & pricing. See our Full Shipping Policy >
Creativity shouldn’t be complicated, so you can return items for FREE any time to our stores for a hassle-free refund with a smile. Personalized Fabric and Custom Headboards purchased online cannot be returned. You can also return online items by mail. See Full Return Policy for Details>