Silhouette Decorative Pillow
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Plaid Vase Silhouette Stencil pack
- FolkArt Fabric Paint: Yellow Citron, Engine Red, Pure Orange, Asphaltum
- Masking tape
- Foam brush
- Foam plate
- Paper towels
- 12"x12" pillow form or fiberfill
- 1/2 yd duck cloth
- Needle & thread
- 4 stencil brushes
- Cut duck cloth into two 12"x12" squares.
- To determine placement of stencil motifs, trace selected design(s) on paper. Use masking tape to attach paper designs to project surface. Leave paper cutouts in place until ready to stencil.
- Work with 1 paint color at a time. Apply a small puddle of paint to a foam plate and thin paint with water before stenciling. Paint should be the consistency of cream.
- Traditional stenciling uses a dry brush technique as follows: Lightly dip stencil brush into diluted paint. Swirl brush on a paper towel until brush is almost dry, then swirl brush into stencil cutout. Apply more pressure to the brush to deepen color. Reload brush & repeat swirling motion until color intensity is achieved.
- Attach stencil to pillow using masking tape. Stencil selected designs, using a clean brush for each paint color. If overlapping or layering designs, let the 1st layer dry before stenciling on top of it.
- Colors used on pillow: Flower: first layer, Engine Red; second layer, Pure Orange; Leaves, Asphaltum; Corner Designs, Yellow Citron.
- Use handle end of brush & Yellow Citron to add dots in center of flower.
- When cloth is dry, sew squares together leaving 4" hole at bottom of pillow. Turn pillow inside out & stuff with pillow form or fiberfill. Turn pillow right side out and sew slit closed.