Silhouette Table Runner
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Plaid Vase Silhouette Stencil pack
- FolkArt Fabric Paint: Yellow Citron, Engine Red, Pure Orange, Asphaltum
- 1 yd duck cloth, may vary depending on table size
- 3 stencil brushes
- Masking tape
- Foam brush
- Foam plate
- Paper towels
- Cut duck cloth 16" wide and the length to fit table, plus 1" all around for turn-under hem.
- Fold 1" of cloth on all 4 sides to back of runner. Tape or sew in place.
- Use masking tape to tape off a 1" stripe, 1/2" from fabric edges. Paint stripe with Pure Orange.
- Use foam brush to paint rectangle in center of runner with Yellow Citron. Allow to dry. Remove tape.
- To determine placement of stencil motifs, trace selected design(s) on paper. Use masking tape to attach paper designs to project surface. Leave paper cutouts in place until ready to stencil.
- Work with 1 paint color at a time. Apply a small puddle of paint to a foam plate & thin paint with water before stenciling. Paint should be the consistency of cream.
- Traditional stenciling uses this dry brush technique: Lightly dip stencil brush into diluted paint. Swirl brush on a paper towel until brush is almost dry, then swirl brush into stencil cutout. Apply more pressure to the brush to deepen color. Reload brush and repeat swirling motion until color intensity is achieved.
- Attach stencil to runner using masking tape. Stencil selected designs, using a clean brush for each paint color. If overlapping or layering designs, let the 1st layer dry before stenciling on top of it. The following colors were used in the table runner: Flowers: first layer, Engine Red; Flowers: second layer, Pure Orange; Bird, Pure Orange; Leaves, Asphaltum; Corner Designs, Engine Red.