Silver Skull Red Velvet Cakes
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Wilton® food-crafting supplies:
- Dimensions® 3-D Mini Skull Pan
- 14-1/2"x20" Cooling Grid
- White Ready-To-Use Decorator Icing — 1 lb. Can
- 9" Angled Spatula
- Decorating Brush Set
- White Decorator Preferred® Fondant (24 oz. makes 4 treats)
- Color Right™ Performance Color System (see Quick Count™ color formula below)
- Roll-N-Cut Mat
- 20" Fondant Roller
- 20" Fondant Roller Guide Rings (orange used)
- Silver Color Mist Food Color Spray
- Favorite red velvet cake recipe or mix (1 recipe makes 4 treats)
- Favorite apricot or fruit glaze recipe
- Plastic wrap
FONDANT COLOR TINTED
USE Color Right base color and Quick Count color formula to tint fondant in the following shade:
Gray (formula 432): 24 oz. fondant + 24 BK
Each serves 1.
- Make cakes. Prepare batter following recipe directions. Bake skull cakes and allow to cool completely. Use knife to trim cakes as needed.
- Assemble cake halves. Use spatula and icing to attach skull halves together. Brush cake with glaze.
- Cover cake with fondant. Tint fondant gray. Use fondant roller with orange guide rings to roll out gray fondant 1/8" thick. Cover cakes, smoothing with fingers.
- Spray cake. Use silver Color Mist food color spray to spray cake, holding close to surface. Immediately pat cake with crumpled plastic wrap to add texture over entire skull. Use damp brush to remove spray from eye and nose cavities.