Simple Snowman Ornament
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
FOR ONE ORNAMENT:
- STYROFOAM brand foam balls 2-1/2"; 1-1/2"; four 1"
- Air-dry ultra-light modeling clay
- Jewelry findings: eye pins, 1", large jump ring; small jump rings
- Narrow satin ribbon or cording
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Craft rolling pin or clay-dedicated pasta machine
- Metal teaspoon
- Needle-nose pliers
- Craft knife
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Decoupage medium
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thin slices from top of 2-1/2" and bottom of 1-1/2" foam balls. Twist balls together to ensure snug fit; glue.
- For arms, press two 1" foam balls against body sides and glue to secure. Legs will be attached later.
- Roll small ball of modeling clay into 1/8"-thick pancake shape using craft roller or pasta machine. Place clay over top of head and use fingertips to mold against foam. Trim excess with craft knife.
- Roll second clay pancake to cover snowman body and arms, seam at neck. Repeat on foam balls for feet.
- Use back of teaspoon to smooth all clay seams. If needed, spot glue clay edges with white glue; let dry.
- Refer to photo. Use fingertips to mold scarf, earmuffs, hat, buttons. Attach with glue; let dry.
- Roll tiny balls of clay for eyes, nose and cheeks; flatten cheek balls and glue cheeks and eyes to face; let dry. Use craft knife to cut tiny "C" shape for mouth.
- Glue and insert eye pin to top of each foot. Glue and insert two eye pins to bottom of body, 1" apart. Join eye pins in feet to body with two small jump rings, opening and closing rings with Needle-nose pliers.
- Glue and insert remaining eye pin to top of head. Attach large jump ring to eye pin. Seal ornament with decoupage medium and let dry.
- Tie ribbon or cord hanger through large jump ring.