Simply Sweet Party Favors
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Styrofoam brand products:
- Ball, 3"(makes 1 cupcake)
- Disc, 7-1/2"x 1-1/4" (makes 4 slices)
- Acrylic spackling compound
- Acrylic paints: white, brown, yellow
- Ribbon roses
- Paper doilies, round
- 30-gauge silver wire
- Small photo or place card
- Assorted trims (cupcake only)
- Paper cupcake liner
- Plastic birthday candle holder
- 3/8" wooden dowel
- Gold foil, 2" square
- Serrated knife
- Old candle
- Wooden skewers
- Glass tumbler
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Small disposable container
- Craft stick
- Spatula or butter knife
- Wire cutters
- Needle-nose pliers
- Thick, white craft glue
- Wax serrated knife blade with old candle for easier, smoother cutting. Form 3" ball into shape of a muffin by cutting a 3/8" slice from the bottom. With a pencil, draw a groove around circumference of ball, 1-1/4" up from flat bottom. Cut 1/4" slices of foam from circumference of ball, cutting from groove down, until ball fits snugly in paper cupcake liner. Rub cut edges with sides of a pencil or your fingertips to smooth any rough edges.
- Glue foam cupcake inside cupcake liner.
- Transfer 1/2 cup of spackling compound to a small disposable container. Mix in small amounts of water until compound reaches consistency of smooth whipped cream. Tint spackling with paint to resemble icing and mix thoroughly. Spread compound with a spatula or butter knife onto top of foam cupcake. Press a ribbon rose or plastic birthday candleholder into center top of iced cupcake. Set aside to dry.
- Center and glue cupcake on doily.
- For birthday candle, paint wooden dowel desired color. Cut a teardrop-shape flame from gold foil and glue to top of dowel. Insert and glue dowel candle into plastic holder on top of cupcake.
- Cut an 8" length of wire. Form a loose spiral in one end, using needle-nose pliers to form initial loop. Press straight end of wire into center top of cupcake; slip place card or photo into wire spiral.
- Using a serrated knife, cut foam disc into eight equal pie-shape slices. Begin by cutting disc in half and then cutting each resulting piece in half until eight pieces are formed.
- Insert a wooden skewer into each foam slice to use as a handle while painting. Paint slices desired cake color; stand in a glass tumbler to dry.
- Following Step 3, tint spackling to resemble icing. Spread compound onto top and rounded edge of one foam slice. Press a second slice on top and ice it with compound in same manner. Press a ribbon rose into center top of iced cake slice. Set aside to dry.
- Follow steps 4 and 6 to add a paper doily and wire holder.