Sketchbook & Supplies Caddie
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Light- to medium-weight cotton fabrics:
- 1-1/4 yd Fabric A
- 1/4 yd Fabric B
- 1/2 yd fusible interfacing
- Cover button kit for 1-1/2" button
- Marking pen
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & ironing surface
- Measurements include a 1/2" seam allowance. Caddie holds one 9"x12" sketch pad, 8 markers or pencils, a 12" ruler and a pair of scissors.
- From Fabric A cut two 13-3/4"x21" for front/back lining and cover.
- From Fabric A cut two 12-1/2"x11" for sketch pad pocket.
- From Fabric B cut two 6-1/4"x11" for supply pocket.
- From Fabric B cut 1"x6-1/2" for tab.
- Cut 13-3/4"x21" interfacing for front/back cover.
- Fuse interfacing to wrong side of front/back cover. Follow manufacturer's instruction for interfacing.
- Fold long edges of tab to wrong side 1/4". Press. Fold tab in half so folded edges are even and total width is 1/4". Press. Edge stitch.
- On front/back cover, mark center on edge of one 13-3/4" side. Fold tab with raw ends even. Pin tab to center, marking at edge of front/back cover so raw edge of tab and cover are even. Pin and baste in place.
- With right sides together and raw edges even stitch front/back cover and lining pieces. Leave 5" opening on bottom edge.
- Clip corners and turn right side out. Press. Press in seam allowance at opening. Set aside.
- With right sides together and raw edges even pin and stitch sketch pad pocket. Leave 4" opening at 1 long side. Clip corners. Turn right side out. Press. Press in seam allowance at opening. Set aside.
- With right sides together and raw edges even pin and stitch supply pocket. Leave a 4" opening on one long side. Clip corners. Turn right side out. Press. Press in seam allowance at opening. Set aside.
- Open front/back so lining is facing up. With edges even place sketch pad pocket on right side of front/back lining. Make sure sketch pad pocket opening is along outer edge of front/back. Pin in place. Edge stitch along outer, bottom and inside edge. Top edge will remain open.
- Repeat step 13 for supply pocket on left side.
- Once supply pocket is stitched, measure and mark 2-1/2" from outside edge on supply pocket. Measure and mark another 2-1/2" from last marking. Stitch through all layers on marked lines.
- Fold front/back closed. Pull tab over to front cover and mark button placement inside tab opening.
- Following manufacturer's instruction, cover button with Fabric B. Hand sew button in place.