Sleepy Time Mobile
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Assorted wood stars
- White wood “O”
- 2 circle cut outs
- White acrylic paint
- Glow-in-the-dark paints
- Paint brushes
- Spool thin white ribbon
- 2 pony beads
- Drill or Crop-a-Dile
- Sand paper
1. Drill a hole in one corner of each star.
2. Use a pencil to mark the center and 4 points along the edge of the wood circles. Drill a hole on each of the marks. Make sure marks are lined up on both circles.
3. Sand surface and edges of the stars and circles. Wipe down to remove any dust or grit.
4. Paint both sides and edges of the stars and circles white and allow to dry.
5. Paint the stars and circles with glow in the dark paint. The paint will go on like a glaze, so several coats will be needed. Allow to dry between coats.
6. Cut 5 strands of monofilament about 1 yard long.
7. Choose 3-5 stars for each strand. (Choose several different sizes per strand) string stars on and tie in place. It may be necessary to knot several times to hold stars in place.
8. Tie 4 of the strands onto the white wood O. Space them out for balance.
9. Slide the end of the last strand through the center hole of a wood circle and a pony bead. Loop end through bead several times and knot.
10. Cut a section of ribbon 18" long. Knot one end to the monofilament beneath the circle. Slide the other end through the center hole of the wood circle and pony bead. Side through the center hole of the other wood circle. Slide a pony bead onto the ribbon, loop and knot the ribbon about 8" above the circles. Slide end of the ribbon back through the pony bead, center hole of the top circle and knot underneath. Slide through the bottom wood circle then space circles about 2" apart and knot ribbon. Glue knot in place along with the bottom of the pony bead. Trim off excess ribbon ends.
11. Cut 4 sections of ribbon 8" long. Cut one end of each strand diagonally. Slide a ribbon through each of the 4 outer holes on the wood circle, bring ends together, tie onto the white O where each of the monofilament strands are tied. Knot ribbon, glue to the inside rim of the O. Trim off excess ribbon.
12. Cut 2 more sections of ribbon 18" long. Knot the end of each section. Slide up through 2 of the bottom circle holes and up through the top circle holes and the pony bead. Hold in place along with the center ribbon to check length. Knot to the center ribbon and the slide ribbon ends through the 2 remaining circle holes. Knot ends under the bottom circle. Hold center ribbon up to check the balance of the mobile. Glue ribbon knots in place and trim off any excess ribbon.