SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 to 1-1/2 yards Smiley World flannel print fabric by Fabric Traditions® (1 yard makes a skirt up to 15” long)
- 3/4 to 1 yard 3/4" wide no–roll elastic
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Basic sewing supplies
- Follow steps 2-4 to cut the front and back of the skirt.
- To determine the width of the fabric rectangle, measure the waist and divide by two. Take 1/2 of the waist measurement and multiply by 2.25. Then add 1" for seam allowance.
- To determine the length of the fabric rectangle, measure from the waist to the desired lower edge of the skirt. Add 3-1/2" to this measurement for waistband, casing and hem.
- Cut two fabric rectangles using the measurements from step 2 and 3.
- Follow steps 6-10 to make the skirt.
- With right sides together, stitch the front to the back along the side edges using 1/2" seam allowance. Finish the seam allowance using pinking shears, zigzag stitching or your favorite method.
- Press under 1/4" on the top and bottom edges.
- Press under 1” on the top and bottom edges. Stitch along the bottom edge of the top casing leaving a 2" long opening near one side seam. Stitch along the top edge of the bottom hem.
- Cut a piece of elastic the waist measurement plus 1". Insert the elastic through the casing using and large safety pin. Overlap the ends 1" and pin in place. Try on the skirt and adjust the elastic if necessary.
- Stitch the ends of the elastic together.
- Stretch the elastic and pin the bottom edge of the casing in place. Stitch the opening in the casing closed.
Items in This Collection