SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1-1/2 yards 45" wide Smiley cotton fabric by Fabric Traditions®
- 1/4 yard lightweight fusible interfacing
- Two 1/2" buttons with shank
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Basic sewing supplies
- Follow steps 2-5 to cut out the pieces for the top.
- To print the patterns, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above). Trace the patterns for the size top desired. Trace patterns for the interfacing portion of the yoke front and back.
- To make the patterns for the front and back, cut rectangles, using the measurements for the size you want to make. Then, using the lower armhole patterns given, trace the armhole shape from the upper side edges. Front Back Small: 10-3/8"x17" 11"x18-1/2" Medium: 10-3/4"x17-1/2" 11-1/4"x19" Large: 11-1/4"x18" 12-1/2"x19-1/2"
- Place the fabric on the cutting surface with it folded in half with the selvages matching. Cut 2 yoke fronts and 1 front placing the center front along the fold. Cut 4 yoke backs, 2 backs and 2. Transfer dots to wrong side of fabric.
- Cut 1 front interfacing piece with the center on the fold. Cut 2 back interfacing pieces.
- Follow steps 7-19 to make the top. Use 5/8” seam allowance and stitch all seams right sides together. Finish the seam allowances of the side, center back and sleeve seams using pinking shears, zigzag stitching or your favorite seam finish method.
- Fuse the interfacing to one yoke front and two yoke backs. Stitch the yoke backs to the front along the shoulder seams to make the yoke lining. Trim the shoulder seam allowance to 1/4".
- Make two rows of long gathering stitches along the top edge between the dots of the front and back pieces 5/8" and 3/8" from the edge.
- Stitch the backs together beginning 3-1/2" below the top edge. Press the seam open. Press under the edges of the seam allowance to meet the fold. Stitch the narrow hem in place.
- Gather the front and pin it to the yoke front. Gather the backs then pin them to the yoke backs matching the finished center edge of the back to the seamline. Stitch the front and backs to the yokes. Press the seams toward the yoke. Trim the seam allowance.
- Cut a 4"x1" bias strip. Fold in half lengthwise and stitch 1/4" from the fold. Trim the seam allowance close to the stitching and turn right side out. Cut two 1-3/4" lengths and make two button loops on the center edge of the back yoke.
- Pin, the lining to the yoke matching the neck edge and center back edges. Fold the lower edge of the lining up along the seamline. Stitch along the pinned edges. Trim the seam allowance and clip almost to the stitching along the curves.
- Turn the lining to the inside and press it in place. Turn under the lower edges of the yokes along the seamline and slip stitch the fold in place.
- Stitch the front to the backs along the side seams. Press seams open.
- Make two rows of long gathering stitches along the top edge of the sleeve between the notches 5/8" and 3/8" from the edge.
- Stitch front edge to the back edge along the under arm seam. Turn under 1/4", then 1/2" along the lower edge. Stitch the hem in place.
- Gather the sleeves to the armhole edges with the gathers evenly spaced between the dots. Stitch the sleeves to the armhole edge. Stitch again 1/8" from the first row of stitching and trim the seam allowance 1/8" from the second row of stitching.
- Turn under 1/4", then 1/2" along the lower edge of the top. Stitch the hem in place.
- Sew the buttons in place on the back yoke 3/8" from the edge.
Items in This Collection