Smiling Spider Centerpiece
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Stiffen Quik fabric stiffening spray
- Fast Grab Tacky Glue
- Tulip fabric-crafting supplies:
- 3D Fashion Paint: White, Black & Orange Slick
- Fabric Spray Paint: Princess Pack
- 2 yds cheesecloth
- 12"x12" cardstock, black
- 8 orange pompoms
- Fabric scrap, lime
- Pinking shears
- Paper towels
- Cardboard covered with plastic wrap
- Plastic gloves
- Large plastic bags & trash bag
- Plastic wrap
- Straight pins
Read all instructions before beginning project. Refer to photo for color and design placement.
- Unfold cheesecloth; place in plastic bag. Spray with grape paint; squeezing and turning bag until cheesecloth is saturated. Remove cheesecloth; smooth flat on trash bag. Allow to dry.
- Cover outside of bowl with plastic wrap. Place bowl upside down on covered cardboard.
- Cut cheesecloth into 8" strips. Place a few strips in a clean bag. Spray Stiffen Quik into bag, squeezing and turning until fabric is saturated. Wear gloves; pull out section of fabric and smooth flat. Place over bowl, smoothing into place. Add an overlapping strip. Repeat until bowl is covered. Allow to dry overnight. Lift cheesecloth from bowl. Trim edges.
- Start flow of White Slick paint on paper towel; use even pressure for a smooth line. To create eyes, squeeze oval shapes onto side of inverted cheesecloth bowl. Allow to dry. Add Black Slick pupils, mouth and Orange Slick nose. Allow to dry.
- Use pinking shears to cut 1-1/2"x14" strip of lime fabric. Place into bag and saturate with Stiffen Quik. Remove strip; tie bow with 2" loops. Crumple foil to fit inside each loop. Lay on plastic to dry. Remove foil.
- Draw four 1"-wide cardstock strips. To create legs, cut from 1 corner to opposite corner along length of strip, to form long triangular shape. Bend wide end 1/2" from end. Measure in 4"; bend again. Bend end of leg 1" from end; trim 1/2". Apply bead of tacky glue at tip; press pompom into place. Allow to dry. Repeat for each leg. Position legs placing extension under lip of bowl. Glue in place. Allow to dry.
- Add glue to back of bow. Press in place; secure with straight pins until dry. Remove pins.