SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
Note: You may use any combination of Kunin Felt’s GlitterFelt™ or Rainbow Classic Felt™. FlashFelt™ may be used for black and red areas.
- GlitterFelt™ by Kunin Felt:
- 7/8 yd. red
- 1/2 yd. white
- Rainbow Classic Felt™ by Kunin Felt:
- 1/8 yd. kelly green
- 9" x 12" sheet, black
- 9" x 12" sheet, orange
- 7/8 yd. iron-on non-woven backing
- Disappearing fabric marker
- Fabric or craft glue
- Embroidery needle
- Embroidery floss
- 2 black buttons
- 5 white buttons
- 2 plastic rings (1/2"–1")
1. Draw snowman.
2. Cut 28" x 36" rectangle from red GlitterFelt™.
3. To make snowman more opaque, follow manufacturer’s instructions to iron a 16" x 22" piece of iron-on non-woven backing to wrong side of white GlitterFelt™. Use disappearing fabric marker to trace pattern onto felt as indicated. Cut out snowman.
4. Transfer smile and eyebrows to right side of snowman. Use four strands of black floss to backstitch over lines and to sew buttons on face for eyes. Glue snowman in center of red background, 5" from bottom of banner. If desired, sew a running stitch around edges with four strands of black floss. Note: If sewing, do not apply glue close to the edge of the snowman. Leave a 1/4" margin.
5. Cut remaining pattern pieces from felt as indicated. Glue appliqués in place, as shown. Sew running stitch around nose if desired. Note: If sewing, do not apply glue close to the edge of the nose. Leave a 1/4" margin.
6. For twig arms, cut two 3/4" x 9" strips and five 3/4" x 3 1/2" strips from black felt. Trim one end of each strip at an angle. Referring to photo for placement, place one long strip on each side of snowman and add small strips at angles to create branches. Trim small strips as needed and slip ends under long strip. Glue in place.
7. For scarf, cut a 3" x 18" strip of kelly green felt. Cut 1-1/2" fringe on both ends by snipping ends every 1/2". Tie a knot in center and glue knot to snowman’s neck at side, as shown.
8. For snowflakes, cut ten 4" x 1/2" strips and ten 3" x 1/2" strips of white felt. For each snowflake, overlap two 4" and two 3" strips, as shown. Sew white button to center of snowflake with white floss. Sew snowflakes to red background through buttons and glue strips in place.
9. To stabilize banner for hanging, cut a 2" x 28" strip of non-woven backing and iron to top of banner on wrong side. Sew rings to back of banner at corners.