SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- FloraCraft® Design It:® Simple Style® Glass Terrariums: 5-1/4" & 6-1/2" (2) (sold in stores)
- Macramé cord: white
- T-shirt yarn: red
- Artificial snow
- Large pompom: white
- Large buttons: White (2)
- Heavy monofilament line
- Small zip-ties: white
- Cut a 24" length of white macramé cord. Tie it in a loop through the hanger in the top of the small terrarium.
- Cut (16) 6ft lengths of white cord. Line up one end of the cords so that they are all flush and lay the cord hanger from the terrarium in the center of the sixteen cords. Let about 4" of the hanger hang past the end of the (16) cords. Hold all the cords and hanger together and tie an overhand knot just above the glass hanger on the terrarium. Trim the ends of the (16) cords to the top of the knot. Do not cut the cord hanger from the terrarium. Hanging the terrarium now will make it easier to work with.
- Separate the cords by pairing them by twos. Begin tying square knots in two cords at a time just under the top knot. There should be eight knots for the first row.
- Pair the cords by twos again; this time use one cord from the previously paired cords and one cord from the pair to the right. This will be referred to as “shifting pairs”. Every time a new row of knots is started, “shift pairs” to the right. Begin tying square knots with the newly paired cords. There will be eight knots in this second row. Shift pairs and repeat to create one more row of eight knots.
- Center the opening of the terrarium between the front two knots.
- Shift pairs with the front two knots and tie an overhand knot about 1" down from the two front square knots. This overhand knot should be just above the center of the terrarium opening. Tie an overhand knot in the next pair of cords to the right. This knot should be centered at the right of the opening. Continue shifting pairs and tying overhand knots to create a row of knots around the center of the terrarium. Leave the front two cords untied in front of the opening.
- For the next row of knots, start at the front with the two untied cords. Shift cords to the right and tie a knot just below the opening of the terrarium on the right side. Continue shifting pairs and tying overhand knots to create another row of knots around the terrarium just below the opening. Shift pairs and tie one last row about 1-1/2" down on the cord.
- Thread the heavy line through the hanger on one of the larger terrariums. Thread the ends of the heavy line through one of the buttons. Tie the button off so that it is about 1" above the glass hanger on top of the terrarium. Trim the ends of the line. Thread the other button onto the last terrarium in the same way and set aside. Hold the button hanger up under the bottom of the small terrarium. Be sure that the opening of the larger terrarium is lined up with the opening of the small terrarium. Gather the cords together tightly at the bottom of the small terrarium securing the button up under the terrarium. Use a zip tie to secure the cords tightly in place just above the glass hanger on the bottom terrarium.
- Repeat steps 3 – 8 for the two larger terrariums.
- Tie the last row of square knots around the bottom of the bottom terrarium. Zip tie the cords tightly at the bottom of the terrarium. Trim the cords at the end of the knot.
- To make the scarf, cut eight 4-ft. lengths of t-shirt yarn. Tie them together with an overhand knot at one end. Leave about 3" of yarn at the end for the tassel.
- Pair the yarn lengths by twos and tie four square knots in the top row. Continue shifting pairs tying four square knots per row. The knotted section of the scarf should measure about 14" long. Tie an overhand knot in the scarf just below the bottom row of square knots to hold them secure. Trim the ends of the scarf to equal tassel lengths. Wrap the scarf around the neck of the snowman.
- To make the hat cut eight 4-ft. lengths of t-shirt yarn. Tie them together with an overhand knot at one end. Trim the yarn at the end of the knot.
- Start out tying four rows ofsquare knots the same as the scarf. For the next row measure down 1-1/2" on the yarn and tie another row. Measure down another 2" on the yarn and tie another row. Measure 2-1/2" down and tie another row. Tie the next four rows about 2.5” apart on the yarn.
- Twist all the remaining ends into a circle for the brim of the hat. Secure the twists with zip ties at the back of the hat. Thread the hanger through the hat and arrange the hat on top of the head. Glue the pompom to the end of the hat.
Items in This Collection
Item # prd21318
Available for U.S. Shipping Only