Sophia Bow Pocket Dress
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Sophia Pre-cut Dress Pieces
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Sophia Strips
- Little Dress Boutique™ Sophia Fabric Quarter: Pink Roses (for Hexie flower hair accessory)
- 2 coordinating flat buttons: 3/4" & 1"
- Wood dowel or chopstick
- Safety pin
- Rotary cutter, acrylic ruler & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not pre-wash fabrics. Use a 1/4" seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam to secure stitching. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Finish seam allowances with zigzag or serge stitching, or pinking shears.
- Follow Steps 1-3 of the dress instructions to make the dress.
- Make shoulder tie from a 5" strip. Cut strip in half lengthwise to 2-1/2"x42". Fold one strip in half RST so long edges meet and sew 1/4" from all cut edges leaving a 3" opening in the center for turning. Turn right side out and use a wood dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Topstitch close to all edges, sewing opening closed.
Set aside. Note: For quick serged ties, sew with wrong sides together and finish edges with a serged rolled hem.
- Make neckline ruching for dress front from a 5" strip. Cut a piece of fabric 2"x28" and fold both long edges under 1/4" twice; press. Topstitch close to fold on both edges to hem. Turn each short end under 1/2" and press. Using longest stitch length, sew two rows of gathering stitches down the middle of the narrow ruffle 1/8" apart, and leave long thread tails at ends.
Find and mark the center of dress front with a pin. Place ruching with gathering stitches aligned over casing stitches on front, pinning at center and each end. Pull threads, adjusting gathers evenly to fit. Sew along gathering stitches with straight or zigzag stitches to attach ruching to dress. Note: For quick serged ruffles, finish edges with a serged rolled hem.
- Make pockets from remaining strip fabrics. Cut two pocket bottoms 2-3/4"x4" from one strip. Cut two pocket bands/lining 4-1/4”x4” from the other strip. Sew bottom to band/lining on the 4” side; press seam toward pocket. Fold in half wrong sides together with raw edges aligned and stitch around three sides leaving a 2” opening at the bottom.
Clip corners and turn right side out through opening. Neatly push out corners and press. Repeat for second pocket.
- Optional pocket ruching as shown on model: Cut two 2"x9" strips. Refer to Step 3 to finish edges and sew gathering stitches. Stitch on pocket fronts along band seam.
- Make pocket bow ties from two strips 2"x21" and follow Step 2. Tie into bows and safety pin to each pocket.
- Place pockets on dress front approximately 6-1/2" from dress bottom and 5-1/2" from sides, or as desired. Pin and topstitch close to side and bottom edges.
- Continue with Step 4 of the dress instructions to sew side seams. Fold dress in half, matching side seams, and mark dress front and back centers for hem ruching placement.
- To hem bottom edge of dress press under 1/4" twice and stitch close to the fold.
- Make hem ruching from 5" strips. Cut four strips 2"x42" from one fabric and two strips 2"x42" from the other fabric. Place two matching strips RST and sew the short ends together to make a circle. Repeat to make two more circles. Hem and stitch gathering stitches on each one as described in Step 3. Mark centers of strips.
- Refer to dress photo to place ruched strips on dress. Start at the bottom pinning at seams and centers. Pull threads, adjusting gathers evenly to fit.
Sew along gathering stitches with straight or zigzag stitches to attach to dress. Repeat for remaining two ruched strips.
- Attach a safety pin to one end of tie and feed through the front and back casings. Pull to gather and tie on one shoulder.
- Make Hexie Hair Flower Accessory from a 5" strip and the fabric quarter. From the 5" strip, cut a strip 3"x28". Fold in half lengthwise RST and stitch around three sides leaving a 3” opening in the middle to turn. Clip corners and turn right side out using a wooden dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Hand stitch opening closed.
- Using the template, cut one 6" circle from the fabric quarter. Fold in quarters with wrong sides together. Iron or finger press folds firmly to make creases. Open up circle with wrong side facing up. Place on pressing surface. Bring top center edge to the center and press along fold. Fold top right point to center and press. Continue folding each point to the center, pressing each fold firmly. When folding the last point, make sure the curved edge lines up with the first folded edge. Pin to hold folds in place.
- Using the template, cut one 5" circle from the 5" strip and fold as described in Step 14. Center small folded hexagon on large hexagon and pin. Sew layers together; stack two buttons in the center and sew in place. Sew to hair tie as desired.
FITTING: The Sophia Bow Pocket Dress as pictured is 21". Consult the fitting information section from the Little Dress Boutique™ Sophia Pre-cut Dress Pieces package for fitting guidelines. Depending on the techniques chosen for embellishment, finished dress length may vary.
Finished Care Instructions: Machine wash warm and hang to dry. Press on cotton setting if needed. Hand wash hair accessory in cold water and lay flat to dry. Press as needed.
Items in This Collection
Item # 10029734
Available for U.S. Shipping Only