Finished length as shown on model: 22”
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 pkg Little Dress BoutiqueSophia Pre-cut Dress Pieces
- 1 pkg Little Dress BoutiqueSophia Strips
- Lightweight fusible web: 2-1/2”x2-1/2”
- Wood dowel or chopstick
- Safety pin
- Rotary cutter, acrylic ruler & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not pre-wash fabrics. Use a 1/4” seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam to secure stitching. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Finish seam allowances with zigzag or serge stitching, or pinking shears.
The Sophia Flower Dress as pictured is 22”. Consult the fitting information section from the Little Dress BoutiqueSophia Pre-cut Dress Pieces package for fitting guidelines. Depending on the techniques you choose for embellishment, finished dress length may vary.
Finished Care Instructions:
- Follow Steps 1-3 of the dress instructions to make the dress.
- Make neckline embellishment for dress front from a 5” strip. Cut a piece of fabric 2”x15” and fold both long edges to wrong side 1/4”; press. Center and align top edge of strip with casing stitching on dress and pin. Stitch close to fold on both edges. Trim ends of strip 1/2” longer than armhole and cut curve to match dress shape. Turn under 1/4” twice; press and fold to the back of dress on top of existing armhole hem. Pin and stitch in place.
- Continue with Step 4 of the dress instructions to sew side seams.
- If altering the length of the dress from the fitting information, make sure of the desired length before proceeding. Adding the lower ruffle will add approximately 1” to the length of the dress depending on where it is placed.
- To hem bottom edge of dress, press under 1/4” twice and stitch close to the fold.
- Make ruched ruffle from three 5” strips. For wide ruffle, cut two pieces of fabric 3-1/4”x42”. Pin the short edges RST with edges and corners aligned and sew with a 1/4” seam to create a circle; press seams open. Press one long edge 1/4” to the wrong side and then press in again 1/4”. Sew close to pressed edge to hem. Repeat for the other edge. For narrow ruffle, cut two pieces of fabric 1-3/4”x42” and hem both edges in the same manner as the wide ruffle. Note: For quick serged ruffles, finish edges with a serged rolled hem.
- Lay wide ruffle flat so seams meet and mark the center along both top edges. Lay narrow ruffle on top of wide ruffle 1/4” from top edge matching seams. Using longest stitch length, sew two rows of gathering stitches down the middle of the narrow ruffle, through both fabrics. Stop at each side seam and leave long thread tails.
- Find and mark the center front and back at bottom of dress. Place top edge of ruffle 1” above bottom edge of dress. Match seams, placing pins at seams and center marks. Pull threads, adjusting gathers evenly to fit the dress. Sew along gathering stitches with straight or zigzag stitches to attach ruffle to dress.
- Make shoulder ties from a 5” strip. Cut one strip in half lengthwise into two 2-1/2”x42” strips. Fold one cut strip in half RST so long edges meet and sew 1/4” from all cut edges leaving a 3” opening in the center for turning. Turn right side out and use a wood dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Topstitch close to all edges; sewing opening closed. Repeat with remaining cut strip for the second tie. Attach a safety pin to one end of tie and feed it through the front casing; repeat with second tie for the back casing. Pull to gather at shoulders. Note: For quick serged ties, sew with wrong sides together and finish edges with a serged rolled hem.
- Cut a 2-1/2”x42” strip for the ruffle flower. From one end, cut two 2-1/2” squares for the flower base (Dia. F).
To print the template, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above). Trace a 2” circle on paper side of fusible web square using the template. Iron fusible web square to wrong side of 2-1/2” square according to manufacturer’s directions. Cut out on the drawn line and remove the paper. Fuse, glue side down, on the wrong side of the second 2-1/2” square according to the manufacturer’s directions. Cut out around outside of circle.
- Fold 2-1/2” strip in half lengthwise and cut the ends so they are slightly rounded. Set stitch length to longest setting and stitch 1/8” from the raw edge, and then again 1/4” from the raw edge. Pull threads to gather tightly.
- Pin the end of the strip 1/2” from the edge of the flower base. Sew by hand, or machine zigzag continuing in a spiral, so the folded edge overlaps and covers the gathered edge. Fold the remaining end back on itself to cover the center.
- Make strip bow from a 5” strip. Cut a piece of fabric 3”x28”. Fold in half lengthwise RST and stitch around three sides leaving a 3” opening in the middle to turn. Clip corners and turn right side out using a wooden dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Hand stitch opening closed. Tie into a bow and hand stitch ruffle flower to center.
- Attach bow and flower accessory to dress bodice with a safety pin.
Remove bow and flower and machine wash warm; hang to dry. Press on cotton setting if needed.