SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Measuring, marking and cutting tools
- Heavy-duty jeans sewing machine needle
- 5/8 yard fusible interfacing
- Pressing surface and iron
- Everything Mary ® round wooden handles
- 5/8 yard cotton ethnic fabric
- 5/8 yard lining fabric
- Pattern (provided in PDF link above)
Note: seam allowance is 3/8” unless otherwise noted.
- Two Tote Exteriors 19” x 16” (see pattern)
- One Tab Piece 5”x 30”
- Two Lining 19”x 16” (see pattern)
- Two Fusible interfacing 19x16” (see pattern)
- Fuse interfacing to WS of Lining per manufacturer instructions.
- Sew tab piece RS together into tube. Turn RS out and press with seam in center back. Cut into 6, 5” pieces.
- Using pattern placement guide, pin short end of each tab to Tote, RS together. Sew down using ¼” seam allowance. Repeat for other Tote piece.
- Sew Tote pieces RS together along sides and bottom. Press seams open. With RS together, match bottom seam to side seam and sew creating a boxed bottom. Repeat for other side. Press seams open and turn RS out.
- Repeat for Lining but leave opening in bottom for turning. Press seams open leaving WS out.
- Place Tote inside Lining RS together matching side seams. Sew along top and curved edge. Clip corners and curved seam allowance. Turn RS out and sew up bottom seam allowance by machine or hand stitch. Tuck Lining into Tote. Press.
- Wrap tabs around handle, folding ends under ½” to Lining. Stitch down in rectangular shape to secure tab. Repeat for all tabs. Top stitch along edge of Tote.