Southwestern Fabric Necklace
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Fat quarters – 7-8 different colors
- Cardboard that comes inside the fabric quarters
- HeatnBond Ultra
- Beadalon stringing wire
- Crimp beads
- Sewing needle
- Jewelry clasp
- Jump rings
- Small black beads
- 2 strands of red rock beads
1. Cut 1"x1" squares out of the cardboard. Cut squares into a trapezoid shape.
2. Cut a 2"x2" square from cardboard for a template, and shape into a trapezoid.
3. Using template cut 2"x2" pieces of fabric from fabric quarters and HeatnBond. Fuse HeatnBond to back of fabric pieces.
4. Wrap fabric around the cut cardboard pieces. Use iron to fuse fabric to cardboard.
5. For the focal point repeat the steps but with larger pieces of cardboard, HeatnBond and fabric.
6. For neat backing of the trapezoids, cut out trapezoid shapes of HeatnBond backed fabric and fuse in place.
7. Make as many different colored trapezoids as preferred. Suggestion would be 2-4 of each color for smaller trapezoids and only one large trapezoid.
8. Cut 2 strings of stringing wire to desired length.
9. Lay out fabric trapezoids in order of preference before stringing on wire.
10. Thread wire through clasp loop and create a loop with wire and use crimp bead to hold loop in place.
11. Thread beads on the wire starting with one black bead, then a red rock bead, then another black bead, followed by fabric trapezoids. To thread the trapezoids use the sewing needle, threaded with wire, and insert in top edge of fabric to thread onto the wire. Follow with a black bead, red rock bead and another black bead. Repeat.
12. When finished with one wire strand, create another loop at end of wire, and use crimp bead to hold loop in place.
13. With other wire strand, create a loop through clasp again, and use crimp bead to hold loop. Bead like first strand. When finished beading close off with another loop.
14. Connect the two strands to a jump rings and the clasp.