Spider Dog Costume
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Spider costume patterns
- 1 pkg Feltables felt in black
- 1 pkg 9" x 12" Darice Craft Fur in black
- 2 pkgs of Jumbo Chenille Stems in black
- 1 pkg 30" x 5/8" Sew On Soft & Flexible Velcro® in black
- Small bag of Poly-Fil
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- To print the patterns, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above).
- Using pattern pieces, trace and cut spider base out of felt and spider body out of fur.
- Cut chenille stems into 6 21" pieces. Using spider base pattern as a guide, place chenille stems onto base. Using a whip stitch, hand sew each piece onto base, with 2" of each stem overlapping onto the felt.
- With chenille "legs" facing up, lay the wrong side of the fur on top of the felt base. Using sewing machine, attach the two pieces together by topstitching around the entire body, leaving a 2" opening at the bottom. Be careful sewing around "legs" - hand cranking the wheel may be necessary to avoid breaking the needle.
- Stuff spider with enough Poly-Fil to fill out the two segments of the body. Sew opening closed by machine.
- Cut Velcro® into 2 2" pieces. Sew each piece onto the neck and chest strap of costume by machine.
- Fold each leg in half (6" from the end) and twist together. Make a 1" bend at the bottom to create "foot." Bend each Leg in the middle to create "knee."