Spooky & Sweet Halloween Treats
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Tips: 3, 4
- Silicone Mini Jack-'O-Lantern mold
- Black icing color
- Non-Stick Mini Pumpkin & Ghost pan
- White Candy Melts confectionery coating
- Cookie sheet
- Primary candy color set
- Cooling grid
- 4" lollipop sticks
- Rolling pin
- Smiling Pumpkin icing decorations
- Paring knife
- Meringue powder
- Confectioner's sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Favorite cake recipe or cake mix
- Marshmallows, large & miniature
- Spice drops, green & purple
- Royal Icing:
- 3 tbsp. meringue powder
- 4 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
- 6 tbsp. water*
- *When using large countertop mixer, or for stiffer icing, use 1 tbsp. less water
Beat all ingredients at low speed for 7-10 minutes, or 10-12 minutes at high speed for portable mixer, until icing peaks form. Makes 3 cups.
- Bake and cool mini Jack-'O-Lantern cake.
- To make arms and legs, cut 4 lollipop sticks to 2-1/2" each. Make a small slit halfway through the sides of 12 mini marshmallows. Wrap 3 marshmallows around each stick for arms and legs. Note: Leave ends of lollipop sticks exposed to accommodate hands and feet. Insert arms and legs into large marshmallow for body. Trim facial features off Jack-'O-Lantern cake; insert lollipop stick into bottom and then into large marshmallow body.
- Place Jack-'O-Lantern body on cooling grid positioned over cookie sheet. Melt candy according to package directions and tint orange. Pour melted candy over Jack-'O-Lantern. Refrigerate until set.
- Roll out green and purple spice drops on surface sprinkled with granulated sugar. Cut hand and feet shapes from green spice drops with paring knife and position on body. Cut bow tie shape from purple spice drops and attach at neck with melted candy. Attach green spice drop for pumpkin stem with melted candy.
- Pipe whites of eyes with Royal Icing and tip 4, then smooth eyes with finger dipped in cornstarch. Use tip 3 to pipe black eye pupils, then smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch. Use tip 3 to pipe nose, tooth and mouth.
- Each serves 1.
- Pour melted candy 1/4" thick into Mini Ghost pan. Refrigerate to set.
- Unmold candy from pan. Attach Smiling Pumpkin icing decorations with melted candy.
- Each serves 1.