SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Rit® Liquid or Powder Dyes: Sunshine Orange, Black
- White cotton Jerzees® fitted T-shirts
- Kunin Rainbow Classicfelt® Square: black, white
- 9"x12" Steam-A-Seam 2® double-stick fusible web
- Darice® self-stick rhinestones: 2 large, 1 small
- Blue tailor's chalk, 18" ruler
- Measuring cup
- 3 shallow 8-cup plastic bowls
- Plastic disposable spoons
- 1" foam brush
- Heavyweight thread, hand needle
- Rubber bands, paper towels
- Plastic sheet, rubber gloves
- Iron, press cloth
- Microwave oven
- Washer & dryer
- E-6000 glue
DIRECTIONS: Cover table with plastic. Prewash &
dry the T-shirts. Do not use fabric softener.
BLACK CAT T-SHIRT
1. Begin at bottom edge; draw 7 parallel chalk lines, 1 1/2" apart, across shirt. Sew a 1/2" to 3/4" running stitch through the layers along the lines. Pull threads to gather. Knot threads. Wrap rubber band tightly over gathered stitching.
2. Dip shirt in water. Squeeze out excess. Set aside.
3. Mix 1/2 cup Sunshine Orange liquid dye or 1 box powder dye with 4 cups very hot water. Pour dye into plastic bowl. Immerse shirt for 2 minutes. Wear rubber gloves; move top of shirt around in dye bath & push down tied area to help dye penetrate. Remove shirt, squeeze out excess dye. Place in plastic bowl.
4. Mix 1/2 cup Black liquid dye or box of powder dye with 1 cup very hot water. Brush Black dye on tied portion of shirt. Squeeze excess & place in plastic bowl. Separate black area from orange.
5. Wrap bowl with plastic. Cover bottom of microwave with paper towels. Microwave on High for 2 minutes. Remove bowl & plastic wrap. Allow to cool.
6. Cut rubber bands & thread. Rinse shirt under cool running water until water runs clear. Allow orange dye to run down through the black. Wash with warm water & detergent. Rinse & dry.
7. Trace cat in reverse on Steam-A-Seam 2. Peel off paper from other side, stick to black felt & cut out. Peel remaining paper, leaving Steam-ASeam on felt. Stick cat applique to shirt. Cover with pressing cloth, iron 10-20 seconds.
8. Apply rhinestones to cat's face. Add dab of E-6000 glue, if desired.
HALLOWEEN GHOST BOO T-SHIRT
1. Prepare T-shirt in the same manner as Cat T-shirt.
2. Mix 1/2 cup Black liquid dye or 1 box powder dye with 4 cups very hot water. Pour dye in plastic bowl. Dye shirt. Microwave & launder as with Cat T-shirt.
3. Trace Ghost & Boo in reverse on Steam-A-Seam 2. Peel off paper from the other side, stick to white felt & cut out. Peel off paper, leaving Steam-ASeam on the felt. Stick appliques to T-shirt. Cover with pressing cloth, iron 10 -20 seconds.