SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Favorite cupcake mix or recipe
- Standard muffin pan
- Baking cup papers
- Cooling grid
- Buttercream icing – see below recipe
- Tip 21
- Disposable decorating bags
- Wilton® Kids™ Mega Sprinkles Tote
- Electric mixer
- Large bowl
- Damp cloth
Bake cupcakes in assorted baking cups and let cool. Either ice smooth or use tip 21 to pipe swirl using buttercream icing. Top with assorted sprinkles from Mega Sprinkles Tote.
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Optional: light corn syrup, water or milk, & Wilton® No-Color Butter Flavor
In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
For thin (spreading) consistency icing, add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.
For Pure White Icing (stiff consistency), omit butter; substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening for butter and add 1/2 teaspoon No-Color Butter Flavor. Add up to 4 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk to thin for icing cakes.