Square By Design® Standard Pillow Sham
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Square By Design® Square
- 1 yard 54” width fabric for backing & flange
- Standard size bed pillow
- Chalk for marking
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine Finished Size: 19" x 25"
Note: To prevent fraying, use a finishing or zig zag stitch along each fabric edge. Seam allowances are 1/2" unless otherwise noted.
- Creating sham front: Centering Square by Design® motif, measure, mark and cut Square to 25" wide x 20" high.
- Making sham back: From backing/flange fabric, cut two pieces to measure 20" x 18". Machine hem one 18” side on each piece. With right sides facing up, overlap hemmed edges to create a rectangle that measures the same size as sham front. Pin pieces together along overlapped edges.
- Creating the flange: From backing/flange fabric, cut two 1-1/2" x width of fabric strips. With right sides together, pin and sew strips at short ends making one long continuous strip. Press seam to one side. With wrong sides together, fold strip in half lengthwise and press.
- Leaving a 4" tail and beginning at center bottom of sham front, pin flange in place keeping raw edges even and creating small pleats at each corner. Sew flange in place stopping 2" before reaching beginning end of flange.
- Join ends of flange by folding under beginning piece 1/2". Trim excess flange from opposite end leaving 1/2". Tuck the 1/2" tab inside beginning folded flange. Complete the seam.
- With right sides together, pin sham front and back pieces together. Following existing stitching line, sew around entire sham.
- Turn sham to right side and press.
- Insert standard pillow.