SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
Note: If ironing is needed, use medium set dry iron. To prevent fraying, use a finishing or zig zag stitch along each fabric edge. Seam allowances are 1/2" unless otherwise noted.
1. From Fabric A: Cut 1 – 4"x31" (Bottom)
Cut 1 – 13"x17" (Back)
2. From Fabric B: Cut 2 – 2-1/2"x30" (Top)
Cut 2 – 5"x23" (Lower Straps)
Cut 2 – 5"x9" (Upper Straps)
Cut 1 – 4"x10" (Handle)
3. Centering Square by Design™ Square motif, measure, mark, and cut fabric to be 13" across the top and 17" along the side.
4. Fold one 23" lower strap piece in half lengthwise and press. Open strip, fold one short end to wrong side 1/2" and press. Fold long edges to center crease, press. Fold in half again lengthwise and press firmly. Sew close to edge on three sides leaving one short edge open. With back facing right side up, pin raw edges of strap even with bottom edge and 1-1/2" from corner. Baste in place. Repeat with remaining lower strap.
5. Repeat Step 4 for sewing one upper strap, leaving short ends open. Sew close to edge on long sides only. Slip two D-rings through upper strap, loop, and align raw edges to be even. Secure rings in place by stitching 1/2" from strap fold. Pin raw edges of strap even with top edge of back and 3" from corner. Baste in place. Repeat using remaining upper strap.
6. Thread bottom straps through D-rings on upper straps and adjust as needed.
7. Repeat Step 2 for sewing handle, leaving short ends open. Center and pin ends even with top edge of back leaving 1/4" between end pieces.
8. Using a long basting stitch, sew two 30" Top strips together on one long side; press seam open. With top piece right side up, center wrong side of zipper over seam and pin in place. Using the zipper foot, stitch zipper in place by sewing around all four sides of zipper. Reinforce stitching on two short ends of zipper. Using a seam ripper, open seam to use zipper.
9. With right sides together, pin and sew top and bottom pieces together at short ends, easing any fullness. Centering zipper at the top edge of back, pin and sew top/bottom unit to back, clipping at corners. Reinforce stitching at corners.
10. With right sides together, pin and sew top/bottom unit to Square By Design™ Square clipping at corners. Reinforce stitching at corners.
11. Turn backpack to right side through zipper opening.
12. Embellish with charm by attaching at zipper (optional).
You can usually expect delivery within 6-10 business days from your order date (business days are Monday-Friday, excluding Holidays). You’ll receive an email with tracking information when your order is shipped. Please allow up to 5 business days to receive your tracking information.
Some items sent directly from our suppliers may take longer, and will ship separate from the remainder of your order.
Please note that Singer sewing machines cannot be shipped to Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands or to military bases overseas.
Most items will give you the option to upgrade your shipping method for faster delivery. If you choose to upgrade your shipping method, your order must be received by 11:00 AM ET or your order may not be processed until the following business day.
For more details & pricing. See our Full Shipping Policy >
Creativity shouldn’t be complicated, so you can return items for FREE any time to our stores for a hassle-free refund with a smile. Personalized Fabric and Custom Headboards purchased online cannot be returned. You can also return online items by mail. See Full Return Policy for Details>