Square By Design® Director’s Chair Back Cover
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Square By Design® Square
- 1/2 yd 54" width fabric for backing & flange
- Rotary cutter, cutting mat & ruler
- Chalk for marking
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine Note: Entire Trout motif was used to create featured chair back cover. For a designer look, any Square By Design® motif can be cut in half to make the cover.
Finished size: 8" x 22"
Note: Seam allowance is 1/2" unless otherwise noted. Use a medium dry iron.
- Measure and mark center of Square By Design ® Square. Keeping motif centered, trim excess fabric from top and bottom Square edges to create a rectangle 8-1/2" tall x 25" wide.
- Cut one 2" x width of backing/flange fabric. Cut strip into two 26" strips. With right sides together, fold one strip in half lengthwise and press. Pin and sew short sides only. Trim seam allowances and turn to right side. Press strip again keeping raw edges even. Repeat using remaining 26" strip.
- With motif fabric facing right side up, position flange strips on top and bottom aligning all raw edges. Pin and sew in place.
- Cut one backing piece 8-1/2" x 25". With right sides together, pin backing to motif fabric enclosing flange strips. Pin and sew together leaving one short end open for turning.
- Trim seams and corners to remove excess bulk and turn to right side through opening. Fold open seam allowance inward 1/2" and press. Machine stitch close to the edge to finish.
- To custom fit chair back cover: With motif facing toward chair front, wrap both ends around chair spindles to the back to form the sleeves. Pin ends in place and remove from chair. Sew sleeves in place by stitching two or three vertical rows.
- Slide cover in place on chair.