Square By Design® Modern Quilt Throw
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Square By Design® Square
- 2 yds 54" Fabric A for backing
- 1 yd each of 54" width Fabrics B, C, D, & E for checkerboard strips
- 2 yds 54" Fabric F for sashing strips and backing
- 1/2 yd 54" Fabric G for binding
- 60" x 60" light weight batting
- Safety pins
- Rotary cutter, cutting mat & ruler
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Chalk for marking Finished size: 58" x 58"
Note: Seam allowances are 1/4". When ironing, use a medium hot iron, dry iron. Press all seams to one side.
- Measure and mark center of Square By Design® motif with a pin.
- Centering motif, measure and cut Square to measure 16-1/2" high x 14" wide.
- From Fabric F, cut 7 – 3" x running length for sashing strips.
- Creating the checkerboard strips: From each of Fabrics B, C, D, & E, cut four 5-1/2" x width of fabric strips. Cut each strip into shorter pieces ranging from 5" to 9" in length. Randomly select, pin and sew pieces together to create a strip to measure 58". No two strips should look alike. Press seams in one direction. Repeat to create a total of eight checkerboard strips.
- Framing the Square: From either Fabric B, C, D, or E, cut two 2-1/2" x 14" pieces and two 2-1/2" x 20-1/2" pieces. With right sides together, pin and sew a 2-1/2" x 14" strip to each 14" side of the Square. Pin and sew remaining two strips to Square, completing the border. Trim edges to be even.
- Creating shorter checkerboard/sashing strip units: From 2 checkerboard strips, cut 4 shorter strips to measure 5-1/2" x 21". From 3 sashing strips, cut 6 shorter strips to measure 3" x 21". With right sides together, pin and sew 2 short checkerboard strips between 3 short sashing strips. Press seams in one direction. Repeat to create one additional unit.
- Creating the center of the throw top: With right sides together, pin and sew one short checkerboard unit to the top edge of the bordered motif. Pin and sew remaining unit to bottom edge of bordered motif.
- Completing throw top: Position two 58" sashing strips between three 58" checkerboard strips. With right sides together, pin and sew strips together. Press seams in one direction. Repeat to make a second checkerboard/sashing unit. Pin and sew each checkerboard/sashing unit to opposite sides of throw center. Press all seams in one direction.
- Trim all edges to be even.
- Creating the backing: From Fabric A, cut two 24-1/2" x 58" pieces. From Fabric F, cut one 10-1/2" x 58". With right sides together, pin and sew the Fabric F strip between the two Fabric A strips. Press seams to one side.
- On a large, flat surface, create the following sandwich: place backing wrong side facing up, batting, and throw top with right side facing up. Smooth all layers. With safety pins, generously pin every 8-10" to hold layers together. Using a long straight stitch, sew layers together by stitching in the ditch along seam of each sashing strip. Trim excess batting and backing fabric keeping all raw edges even.
- Making the binding: From Fabric G, cut five 2-1/2" x width of fabric strips. With right sides together, pin and sew strips together end-to-end creating one long continuous strip. With wrong sides together, fold in half lengthwise and press. Matching raw edges, sew binding to front of throw, miter corners, finish ends and turn fold to the back. Finish by hand using a blind hem stitch.