Square By Design® Pillow Cover
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Square By Design® Square
- 3/4 yd fabric for pillow cover backing (duck, denim or linen recommended)
- 22" square pillow form
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Water soluble fabric marker or chalk
- Chalk for marking
Note: To prevent fraying, use a finishing or zig zag stitch along each raw fabric edge. Seam allowances are 1/2" unless otherwise noted. If ironing is needed, use a dry medium set iron.
1. Center the Square by Design™ Square motif. Measure, mark and cut fabric to desired size square, adding 1" for seam allowance.
2. From backing fabric, cut two pieces by adding 10" to the width of the measurement in Step 1 and dividing it by 2. Example: If sewing an 18" square pillow, cut the Square 19"x19" for pillow front. For the pillow back, cut two pieces to measure 14"x19". Hem one long side of each backing piece by turning under 1/2" and pressing with a dry iron. Turn again another 1/2", press and stitch in place.
3. With right sides together, place square with overlapped edges vertical to square with motif. Both squares should be the same size. Stitch around all 4 sides.
4. Turn pillow right side out and press.
5. Insert pillow form.
Tip: Before turning corners right side out, fold seam allowance on stitching line in corner area only, pinching and holding corner while pushing corner through and, simultaneously, turning to right side. This will give corners a nice sharp 90 degree angle.