Square By Design® Trendy Tote Bag with Dimensional Motif
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Square By Design® Squares (2)
- 1-1/2 yds decorative fabric for contrast lining
- 1-1/2 yds cotton belting 1-1/2" wide
- 1 yd muslin
- 1 yd medium or high loft batting
- 4"x15" pc cardboard or plastic canvas
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Chalk for marking
Note: To prevent fraying, use a finishing or zig zag stitch along each raw fabric edge. Seam allowances are 1/2" unless otherwise noted. If ironing is needed, use a medium set dry iron.
1. Center the Square by Design™ Square motif. Measure, mark and cut fabric to be 21" across the top and bottom and 23" along the sides (outside bag).
2. Cut decorative fabric into the following sizes
2 – 21"x23" for lining
1 – 20-3/4"x28" for pocket
1 – 9"x16" for cardboard sleeve
3. Cut cardboard or plastic canvas to measure 4"x15".
4. Cut cotton belting into 2 – 27" pieces for straps.
5. With motifs right sides together, stitch across bottom only. Press seam with medium dry iron.
6. With wrong side of sewn Squares wrong side up, place a piece of batting slightly overlapping each motif. Place a piece of muslin over batting and pin in place.
7. Turn Square unit over with right side facing up. Using a straight stitch, sew along edge of motif to give dimension to the design. To eliminate bulk, trim batting and muslin close to the stitching line.
8. Keeping right sides of motif together, line up the top edges to be even and stitch the sides together leaving an opening at the top.
9. In order for the tote to have a flat bottom, a pleat will need to be created on both bottom side edges. Fold the bottom corner of the bag with seams matched up together until it creates a triangle. Press with a medium dry iron.
10. Pin the triangle to hold the layer together. With a water soluble fabric marker or chalk, make a mark 2" in from the corner and 4" across the triangle. Stitch on the line. Do not trim triangle away.
11. From each side seam, measure over 2" from top to bottom of bag, using pins to create a fold line on all four sides of bag. Pin fold in place and topstitch through two thicknesses creating a pin tuck 1/8" close to the edge to add structure to the bag.
12. To prepare the pocket for the bag lining, fold the 20-3/4"x28" piece in half with right sides together to measure 14"x20-3/4". Stitch across long end (opposite of the folded edge) leaving sides open to create a tube. Turn to right side through opening and press.
13. Stitch the bottom edges of the lining together as done in Step 4 leaving an 8" opening for turning bag to right side. Before stitching sides, pin pocket in place and topstitch at bottom edge only. Measure 4" down from top raw edge of lining to determine pocket placement. The sides of pocket will still have a raw edge and will be lined up with the sides of lining. With right sides of lining together, stitch the sides and repeat steps 7-9.
14. Mark placement of straps by measuring over 5" from each side seam allowance at top of bag and place a pin. Center the belting over each pin with raw edge of bag top, lining up with raw edge of belting. Securely pin handles with right sides of lining top.
15. Turn right side out through lining opening on bottom of bag. Topstitch 1/2" from finished edge.
16. Create a 2" cuff on outside of bag by turning lining over top of bag. Hand tack or machine stitch handles through all layers.