Square By Design® Wall Hanging
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Square By Design® Square
- 1/2 yard 54" width Fabric A for border
- 3/4 yard 54" width Fabric B for backing
- 1/2 yard 54" width Fabric C for binding
- 28" decorative rod
- Rotary cutter, cutting mat & ruler
- Chalk for marking
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine Finished size: 21-1/2" x 24"
Note: Seam allowance is 1/4". If ironing is needed, use a medium dry iron.
- Cut each of the fabrics as follows:
- Square By Design® Square – 17-1/2" x 20" (centering motif)
- Fabric A: two 2-3/4" x 17"
- 2 – 2-3/4" x 24"
- Fabric B: one 21-1/2" x 24"
- 1 – 5" x 20"
- Fabric C: two 2-1/2" x width of fabric
- Making the borders: With right sides together, pin and sew 2-3/4" x 17" Fabric A strips to top and bottom of Square with motif. Press seams toward borders. Pin and sew 2-3/4" x 24" Fabric A strips to each side of Square and press seams toward borders.
- Making sleeve for hanging: Fold short edge of 5" x 20" Fabric B strip toward wrong side 1/4" and press. Fold again another 1/4", press and sew in place to hem. Repeat for opposite short side. With right sides together, fold Fabric B strip in half lengthwise, pin and sew to create a tube. Turn to right side through opening and press flat.
- Place right side of 21-1/2" x 24" Fabric B backing right side up. Center and position top fold of sleeve 1" down from top edge of backing and pin in place.
- Pin bottom fold in place. Stitch close to top and bottom sleeve folds leaving short sides open for inserting decorative rod.
- With wrong sides together, generously pin wall hanging front and back pieces together aligning raw edges. Stitch in the ditch on seams between each border and motif fabric.
- Making the binding: With right sides together, pin and sew Fabric C strips together end-to-end creating one long continuous strip. With wrong sides together, fold in half lengthwise and press. Aligning raw edges, sew binding to front of wall hanging, miter corners, finish ends and turn fold to the back. Finish by hand using a blind hem stitch.
- Slide rod through opening in the sleeve to hang.