SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
Note: Seam allowances are 1/2". If ironing is needed, use dry medium set iron.
- Square By Design® Squares (2)
- 1 yd 54" wide canvas or duck cloth for lining and pocket
- 6"x18" heavy cardboard or plastic canvas
- 1-1/3 yds – 1-3/8" wide cotton belting for straps
- 3 yards 1/4" decorative braid trim for strap edges
- 1-1/3 yds – 1-3/8" wide cotton belting for strap lining
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Water soluble fabric marker or white pencil
- Chalk for marking
1. Measure and mark the motif center with a pin. From the pin, measure vertically toward the bottom of the motif 3” and mark with a second pin. The second pin is the point from which measurements will be made. From the second pin, measure 12.5” to the left and mark. Measure 12.5” to the right and mark. This establishes the cutting line of the left and right fabric edges. Measure 8.5” above the second pin and mark. Measure 8.5” below the second pin and mark. This establishes the cutting line for the upper and lower fabric edges. Cut on all marked lines so that the fabric measures 17” tall by 25” wide. Note: The motif will NOT be centered on the fabric. Repeat using remaining Square.
The Weekend Tote Bag can be made with the following Classic and Trendy designs: Butterfly, Flag, Bicycle, Hashtag, and Crown.
2. Cut 2 – 17"x25" from lining fabric.
3. Cut 2 – 8"x14" from lining fabric for inside pocket. With right sides together, pin and sew leaving an 8" opening on one long side. Turn to right side through opening. Turn opening in ½” and press.
4. Pockets: Center and position pocket 5” down from the top edge of lining and pin in place. Sew close to the edge of the two short sides and bottom of pocket. A second row of stitching may be added if desired. Pocket may be divided into 2 or 3 sections by stitching two vertical rows at desired points or left as one large pocket.
5. Lining: Pin the two lining pieces right sides together. Stitch along the sides and bottom only.
6. Boxing lining corners: With right sides together, fold the corner until it creates a corner triangle by matching the side seam and bottom seam. Press with medium dry iron. Pin the triangle to hold. Make a mark 3" in from the corner triangle and draw a line 6" across the triangle. Stitch on drawn line. Do not trim the seam. Turn to right side.
7. Straps: Layer belting and belting lining pieces together. Insert decorative braid trim between belting straps and pin in place. Stitch close to long edge being careful to sew through all three layers.
8. Bag: Place the two Square pieces for the bag right sides together and pin. Stitch together on sides and bottom leaving top open. Following Step 6, box lower corners.
9. Attaching the straps: On one side of the bag, place a mark, 7" in from the left side seam and on the top edge of bag. Repeat, measuring 7" from the right side seam and mark. Aligning raw edges together, pin straps to top edge of bag at mark. Machine baste strap in place. Repeat for remaining strap.
10. Turn in 1/2" around top edge of lining and press well using a dry iron. Repeat for the top edge of the bag. Insert lining into bag, wrong sides together and keeping the straps outside the bag. Align the bag, lining edges and side seams and pin together. Top stitch around top edge of bag, beginning and ending at one side seam. To reinforce strap, topstitch an “X”, surrounded by a rectangle, just below the top tote edge where strap is attached to bag.
11. Cut cardboard or plastic canvas 5-1/4"x17-1/2". Cut two pieces of lining fabric 7"x18-3/4" and place right sides together. Pin and stitch on two long sides and one short side. Turn right side out and press, turning open end in 1/2". Insert cardboard or plastic canvas. Machine or hand stitch open end. Insert into bottom of tote.