Square By Design® Window Valance
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Square By Design® Square
- 1-1/2 yds 54" width fabric for borders & backing
- 3 yds lightweight fusible interfacing
- 28" to 48" tension window rod
- Rotary cutter, mat, ruler & chalk for marking
- Chalk for marking
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing Machine Finished Size: 30-1/2" wide x 20" high
Note: Seam allowances are 1/4". If ironing is needed, use dry medium iron.
- Center and cut Square By Design® Square to measure 21" high x 25" wide.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse interfacing to back side of the Square.
- With Square facing right side up, mark the center on the bottom edge of fabric. Measure up 8" from the bottom edge on left side of Square and mark. Repeat on right side of Square.
- Using a ruler and chalk, draw a line from the lower center mark to the left side mark. Repeat for right side. Trim fabric on drawn lines.
- Cut two 3-1/2" x width of fabric strips from the borders/backing fabric. From each 3-1/2" strip, cut one 18" piece and one 22" piece. Fuse interfacing on back of each strip.
- With motif facing right side up, pin one 18" strip to left side of Square, right sides together. Sew in place stopping approximately 1" from the lower left corner. Repeat using remaining 18" strip for the right side of Square. With right sides together, pin a 22" strip to the angled edge on left side of Square. Beginning and stopping approximately 2" each from each end, sew in place and press. Repeat with remaining 22" strip on right side of Square.
- To miter the corners, press open side border strip to lay flat. Place angled edge fabric strip on top of the left side strip, folding it under to form a 45-degree angle. Press forming a sharp crease where the angled edge fabric is folded. Trim away excess fabric, leaving only the seam allowance. Flip fabrics so they are right sides together and pin. Sew remaining end and angled edge, up to the pressed crease. Stitch on the crease, beginning at the outer edge. Repeat for the right side of Square.
- To form the center point, keep the left border strip flat. Overlap the right border strip on the left border strip and fold under until a vertical line is formed at the edge and centered with motif. Press well, forming a sharp crease. Bring fabrics right sides together and pin. Trim excess fabric. Sew remaining angled seam up to the crease on each side. Sew along crease to form lower point.
- Cut backing fabric the same size as the valance front. With right sides together, pin valance front to back aligning all edges. Sew the top edge. Leave an opening on each side large enough for the tension rod to slide through. Sew remaining edges of fabric, leaving a 5"-6" opening along one straight edge for turning.
- Turn valance to right side through opening. Press well, turning under unsewn fabric opening. Slip stitch opening to close.