SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/3 yard each of three coordinating fabrics for the “tiles”
- 1-1/2 yards of fabric for the frames and connecting pathway pieces
- 1/4 yard fabric for inner most background
- 5/8 yard fabric for medium value background
- 1-1/2 yard fabric for darker value background and borders
- 1/2 yard fabric for binding
- One 54"x72" rectangle of batting
- 3 yards fabric for backing
- Basic sewing/quilting supplies
1/4" seam allowance used throughout
WOF = width of fabric
Three fabrics were used to create a gradient of value (light to dark) for the background
Size of Quilt: 48"x63"
1. Cut four 8-1/2" squares from each of the three coordinating fabrics
2. From framing fabric, cut one 8-1/2" x WOF strip, one 10-1/2" x WOF strip and one 5" x WOF strip. Cut each of the WOF strips into 1-1/2" widths. (Total needed: twenty four 1-1/2"x8-1/2 strips, twenty four 1-1/2"x10-1/2" strips and seventeen 1-1/2"x5" strips.
3. Cut two 5" squares from the inner most background fabric. Cut three 5" x WOF strips from the medium value background fabric. Sub cut into twenty-eight 5" squares. Cut two 5" x WOF strips from darker value background fabric. Sub cut into ten 5" squares.
4. For borders, cut six 5" x WOF strips of darker value background fabric.
5. Cut six 2-1/2" x WOF strips for binding.
6. Stitch one 1-1/2"x8-1/2" framing strip to the top and the bottom of each “tile” square. Press seam allowances towards the framing strip. Stitch one 1-1/2"x10-1/2" framing strip to each side of the “tile” units. Press seam allowance towards framing pieces. Set aside.
7. Stitch a 1-1/2"x5" framing strip to one inner 5" square. Add the additional 5" square to the other side of the framing strip. Press seam allowances towards framing pieces.
8. Stitch three medium value 5" squares together. Make six units.
9. Stitch one medium value 5" square, one 1-1/2"x5" framing piece and one darker value 5" square together. Press seam allowances towards framing piece. Make ten.
10. Stitch all pieced units together, alternating “tile” units with background units. (Light value units are in the center, surrounded by medium value units and ending with darker value units.)
11. Stitch short ends of border fabric together. Measure from side to side across the center of the pieced tile unit. Cut two pieces of border strip to that measurement. Stitch one to the top of the pieced tile unit. Press seam allowance toward border. Repeat for the bottom.
12. Measure, cut and stitch side borders to the pieced unit.
13. Cut and stitch backing fabric as needed to make a 54"x72" rectangle.
14. Layer quilt top, batting and backing. Quilt as desired.
15. Stitch short ends of binding pieces together. Fold strips in half with long edges even and wrong sides together. Press. Stitch to right side of quilt with raw edges even. Turn to back and whipstitch in place.